Sign in to follow this  
JeanneA

Advocate

Hi I would appreciate opinions on having an advocate for your child/young person? I understand that an 'advocate' is someone who can speak on behalf of the young person if they are unable to do so for themselves. I was reading on the internet last night that this service is free, is this correct? Also, anyone can apply for an advocacy on their behalf?

I am only asking in case I should feel such a person is needed to speak on Glen's behalf now or in the future.

Look forward to your thoughts and experiences on this, thank you.

Hi Jeanne, yes an advocate is free. You can self-refer to an advocacy NAS has a website and it can tell you on the i think autism directory which ones are in your area and what they do. an advocate usually there too help the person advocate for themselves if unable to with a specific issue for me such as getting the support I need emotionally. Usually there is an issue that needs addressing that the child/young person are unable to speak up for them to be involved. A mental health advocacy , would be if they had a mental health team, a learning disability advocacy is if they have a disability themselves.

http://www.autism.org.uk/directory.aspx (type advocacy, and your location' it would come up with advocacys and what they do)