4 replies to this topic

#1 Aut_Scot

Aut_Scot

Norfolk Broads

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 04:57 PM

I am a 54 year old male based in Central Scotland (North of the Forth).  I was diagnosed as being on the autistic spectrum last year. 

Workwise, I am just managing to hold down a part time job at the moment, am worried about job cuts. 

#2 trekster

trekster

Mt McKinley

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3600 posts
  • Interests:stamp collecting, cross stitching, playmobil, star trek, liverpool fc, computers

Posted 13 March 2017 - 03:23 AM

Welcome I am half Kirkaldian.

#3 Autismus

Autismus

Norfolk Broads

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:@DoomFulfilled on Twitter

Posted 13 March 2017 - 06:53 AM

Hello, we are about the same age. How are you finding life since your diagnosis? 

#4 Aut_Scot

Aut_Scot

Norfolk Broads

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 03:03 PM

Hello, we are about the same age. How are you finding life since your diagnosis? 

A number of things have fallen in to place since I got my diagnosis.  I looked for books on the subject of how this related to the workplace and bought this one:

http://www.jkp.com/u...ival-guide.html

It was a real eye opener, prior to reading it I thought that being on the autistic spectrum was mainly about being a loner with poor eye contact and difficulties in social environments etc, but the book pointed to other things as well (relating to the world of work).  There is an information file associated with the book which can be downloaded from the Internet, which is useful to show employers to explain certain things.  It correlated quite well with certain shortcomings that I have at work (and have had in previous jobs).

My boss has been understanding about it and said that he had always suspected that I was autistic.  My partner said that she suspected that I was something like that as well.

So far the diagnosis has been useful and I haven't encountered a downside yet.

#5 gmboy

gmboy

Salisbury Hill

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:37 PM

Thanks for the link. The 'Checklist of Common Workplace Challenges' in the download is useful.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users