Sign in to follow this  
jen

school cloakrooms

This is for all you teachers LSA and school governors.

At my sons school they are turning a small cloakroom into a quiet room. (As the calm room is constently used by children, teachers etc and therefore is not a calm room)

The headmistress was going to relocate the two rails of coat hooks into another cloakroom and place them on an opposite wall to some other coat hooks. The corridor is wide enough to contain a standard door plus a surrounding area. (I will measure it exactly another day). The headmistress can remember being told (don't know if it was during her time or before she was there) that the area orginally had coat hooks on both sides of the wall but they were told to move them for health and safety reasons. The area we are discussing is not near a fire exit or near the door the children use for going into and out of the corridor.

Do any one know where I can get written information on safety issues for cloak rooms in school.

The classrooms are in a ?portable area separate from the main school which contains a long corridor with areas off for 3 cloak rooms storage room with a piano in than a classroom off on the left side of the corridor and another classroom on the right side of the corridor. (Hope this makes sense)

Jen

Edited by jen

I know cloak areas are classed as one of the major risk areas for during school time Arson. For that reason schools are asked to place them very carefully, in areas not near any fire escape routes, stairs, access etc. Also if the areas were over full they usually recommend splitting the cloakroom/peg areas so items don't end up on the floor causing fire risks. They don't usually like them on both sides of a wall especially in any walk way, in our school they were moved and are along one wall. If anywhere you might be able to find info on the Dfes or contact those in charge of Health and Safety at the local council.

Edited by lil_me