Sign in to follow this  
Canopus

Armed forces

Are people with AS and dyspraxia eligible to join the armed forces? From what I have read there are stringent medical requirements that will probably be failed. The armed forces must have desk jobs at military bases.

Not sure about this! My son has been involved in designing/drawing plans for new army barracks (inc. some for the household cavalry) law requires that there is wheelchair access to all barracks and light switches, plugs etc are at wheelchair height, otherwise disability discrimination would exist. Though quite why someone in a wheelchair would want to join the household cavalry is a bit beyond me! Apparently the army cannot refuse you if you are disabled in any way but you may not be in a fighting unit. That's how the deisgners of the new barracks were given the info anyway. Love Kat

As an ex RAF electrician for 12 yrs, my experience of the armed forces were that you were told that "first and foremost you are a soldier"!!! My whole career I kept saying no I'm a leckie but they would not have it. To put it bluntly, anyone seving can be called upon to do his , or her, service as they have signed up. My DS says sometimes that he would like to join up, but I could just imagine his response when the Corporal is there barking orders at him to shine his shoes better, get his hair cut, sort his uniform out, sadly, I can't see it happening. Only wish I could... :(

Edited by Siadwell

I actually like the idea of an AS army...

"Corporal, shoot that enemy soldier"

"Why?"

"He's the enemy"

"Who says so?"

"I ******* say so!!!"

"Well he's not shouting at me!"

"No, he's ********* shooting at you!"

"Yes, but only because his sargent told him too... If I shot his sargent maybe he'd stop?"

L&P

BD :D

LOL, that's very true sometimes haha! It depends though; some people with AS might be obsessed (come on, you all know what an obsession is!) with the Armed Forces and therefore know every detail there is to know, and the bigger picture, and everything!