Sign in to follow this  
Lynden

MMR Boosters

Logan got through an appointment today for his MMR and DTP Boosters. He only turned 3 last month but apparently they're changing the immunisation schedules and bringing the preschool boosters forward to 3+.

I mentioned having his immunity tested for the MMR and the nurse had never heard of that. My daughter and her MMR booster this year already, and Logan had his first MMR - but I dont see the point in giving him the booster if he doesn't actually need it. If he needs it he'll have it.

Does anyone have any info that I can go and read up before I see the GP about it all?

Lynne

Lynne,

Its just a strainght forward immunology test to assess levels, they should be able to do this at the surgery.

varicella, measles and mumps levels

Jen

I felt like you that didn't want him to have his booster if he was the 90% of kids that had made a good immune response but would have it done if levels low. He had his MMR levels tested when he had his iron levels checked by the paediatrician. Paed raised an eyebrow but was happy to do it. Only problem was that the sample got lost on the way to the lab :huh: so never got tested. Adam actually had mumps last week, he was very well with it didn't even get a temp and think he had a mild version because of his first vaccine. I suppose this means his measles levels may well be low if he got mumps so have got to decide now what to do. Just glad I got Daniel vaccinated after much procrastination!

Lx

I felt like you that didn't want him to have his booster if he was the 90% of kids that had made a good immune response but would have it done if levels low. He had his MMR levels tested when he had his iron levels checked by the paediatrician. Paed raised an eyebrow but was happy to do it. Only problem was that the sample got lost on the way to the lab :huh: so never got tested. Adam actually had mumps last week, he was very well with it didn't even get a temp and think he had a mild version because of his first vaccine. I suppose this means his measles levels may well be low if he got mumps so have got to decide now what to do. Just glad I got Daniel vaccinated after much procrastination!

Lx

So you haven't had Adams boosters yet? I think I'm more wary than normal because 3 seems so very young to be having his preschool boosters!! If my GP doesn't want to test I'll try the paed. What exactly should I ask for when I go in so I dont seem daft? I'm glad Adam wasn't too poorly but I can imagine you were relieved you'd had D MMRd!

Lynne x

We decided to test DS2 before giving him the pre-school booster (he'd had the MMR pre dx) so he had a blood test and it was found he wasn't protected for mumps, although he was for the others. He then had the mumps separately. We did it at a private clinic, as we'd already decided to give DS3 separate injections.

DS1, meanwhile, had the MMR and the booster. It was only when we found out that we had autism in the family that we moved towards separate vaccinations for his brothers - didn't want to take any risks.

So you haven't had Adams boosters yet? I think I'm more wary than normal because 3 seems so very young to be having his preschool boosters!! If my GP doesn't want to test I'll try the paed. What exactly should I ask for when I go in so I dont seem daft? I'm glad Adam wasn't too poorly but I can imagine you were relieved you'd had D MMRd!

Lynne x

Adam had the DTP booster just after his 4th birthday (when routinely called here) but I told the HV that wanted to think about the MMR booster and she was fine about that. Just ask for a blood test to check his levels of immunity to measles mumps and rubella, it's usually a blood sample sent to virology. Not sure whether our GP would have gone for it but paediatrician was fine about it. For me it was a matter of balancing risks. I just explained that I didn't want it doing if not necessary and that whilst I didn't think MMR caused autism did wonder if it worsened it in some susceptible children. As far as I was aware there has been no evidence for or against this and didn't want to expose him to a vaccine that might have theoretical harm if he didn't need it. Having the first MMR was a different matter because the risk of measles in an unvaccinated child outweighed my ASD fears but with the booster it's just mopping up the few who aren't fully immune

Hope that makes sense!

Lx

Lynne,

Its just a strainght forward immunology test to assess levels, they should be able to do this at the surgery.

varicella, measles and mumps levels

Jen

Thanks Jen - I see the GP myself this week so am going to pose the question then.

Lynne

We decided to test DS2 before giving him the pre-school booster (he'd had the MMR pre dx) so he had a blood test and it was found he wasn't protected for mumps, although he was for the others. He then had the mumps separately. We did it at a private clinic, as we'd already decided to give DS3 separate injections.

DS1, meanwhile, had the MMR and the booster. It was only when we found out that we had autism in the family that we moved towards separate vaccinations for his brothers - didn't want to take any risks.

I think thats the route we may go down too - thanks.

Lynne