Sign in to follow this  
ksasnic

Referrals and secondary schools

Sorry but having one of those days find out that Nick's referral wasn't done !!! so for the last 7 months we thought he was on the waiting list only to find he wasn't !! I am ever so p****d off ok sorry annoyed... I then find out that the team that he was supposed to be referred to are meeting this monday to see who they can add to their lists and offer an appointment. I phoned up my surgery to enquire why the hell they hadn't done the referral only to be fobbed off and then told that a dr would write it that day and fax it through... ha phoned up on friday to be again told the dr didn't do it yesterday as promised and that he can dictate the letter today somewhen if he has time and that as there are no secretaries in to type it up it seems unlikely it will be done in time... I got so fed up I basically said that the letter had better be done today ready for the secretaries to type it up first thing on monday and fax through first thing and hopefully it will arrive in time for the meeting.. otherwise I will be taking this further as they have failed my son and it was not acceptable..

So now I am really feeling the strain... I had hoped his referral would have happened by now and even maybe had the appointment ready in time to help me choose the right secondary school that he will go to next september... so I have to look round schools and re-assess which ones were on his checklist as the main one apparently is having its special needs resource unit phased out next year... Oh blimey not sure what I am doing to be honest... would prefer him to go to a special school as his needs are complex and I know a large school would scare the begeebers out of him..

Also on top of that the dreaded renewal form for DLA has come through again and so am worried about that stopping again and we will suddenly be told when I eventually fill it in that its stopping so more added worry...

Anyway sorry about the waffling and ranting just needed to let some steam off... And as they say back to the old drawing board..

Any advice about who I can sharpen my harpoon at about this referral etc would be grateully received

Love and blessings all

:robbie:

Sorry can't offer any constructive advice but can be angry with you cos this has happened to us with our youngest.

We are in same boat with our 10 yr old, trying to get him dx before transition to secondary next september, after initial appt. in june we are only now on waiting lists of at least 3 months for assessments with SALT and clinical pyschologist.

I can't see how this is all going to happen in time for him to take part in the transtion scheme for SEN kids :wallbash:

It's all aggro, aggro, aggro, why promise a referral and than neglect to do it ?!!!!

wac