Sign in to follow this  
florrie

hyperlexia and savant syndrome

does anyone else feel that their asd symptoms ie obsessive compulsive behaviours intense fears, resistance to change, difficulties with interaction and social skills and remarkable memory are down to hyperlexia,ie early advanced reading skills ie I read fluently at 2 reading age of 15 when entering school at 4 but did not have comprehension of 15 years old and on recent tests have comprehension of 5 year old still, if this is improved can improve asd symtpoms

My son was believed to have received cerebral damage at birth, cord round his neck and dent in his head where midwife tried to stop him being born with cord round neck but also has asd symtpoms, he had very delayed speech but could play chess at 3. probably from memorising

check out wisconsinmedicalsociety hyperlexia and savant syndrome

also covers other savant syndromes such as Kim Peek and others

I can't do the links but is a fascinating website by darald treffert, he describes 3 different versions of hyperlexia one is just normal with no comprehension difficulties, one is hyperlexia poor comprension and asd symtpoms and is treatable, ( I believe I fit this category) and one is hyperlexia with autism

Edited by florrie