Sign in to follow this  
florrie

sensory integration

A health professional, often an occupational or physical therapist, will evaluate your child by observing his or her responses to sensory stimulation, posture, balance, coordination, and eye movements. While many children have a few of the symptoms described above, your health professional will look for a pattern of behavior when diagnosing sensory integration dysfunction.

How is it treated?

Sensory integration therapy, usually conducted by an occupational or physical therapist, is often recommended for children with sensory integration dysfunction. It focuses on activities that challenge the child with sensory input. The therapist then helps the child respond appropriately to this sensory stimulus.

Therapy might include applying deep touch pressure to a child's skin with the goal of allowing him or her to become more used to and process being touched. Also, play such as tug-of-war or with heavy objects, such as a medicine ball, can help increase a child's awareness of her or his own body in space and how it relates to other people.

my son had it and it works wonders.hhe now has a sensory room at home and loves the lights and textures

Thanks for informaation, it was recomended for me and I'm an adult i don't think this therapy exists for adults, I believe it would have done my son a world of good though if he had been able to have this therapy when he was younger