Sign in to follow this  
JJ's mum

Health visitor assessment tommorrow

I have my sons full assessment with the health visitor tommorrow. I need her to refer my son to the consultant so I need advice as to what to say. Im concerned as they keep referring to it as a development check and im worried it will be shapes,colours building etc like last one was. Does anyone know what such a test will entail? I have talked at length about my sons difficulties with a health visitor who agreed that it sounds like my son is on the spectrum but this is a different one who is doing the test.

Im worried because my son appears very mature in that he has an extremely good use of language and is very intelligent for his age. Ive not seen a health visitor test imagination, empathy etc so im worried she is going to say everything is fine. I know its not, but the only thing I can think of that she is likely to find is his lack of ability to catch a ball.

Im 99% sure my son has aspergers though I realise diagnosis is a very lengthy process. Im keen to get through it as quick as I can so he can get help at school when he starts in September. Does anyone know of any comprehensive lists of difficulties kids with aspergers can have so I can show her them? Ive been writing things down for weeks but lost my book and now I have mental block :-(

Hi If you need a list tonight the best place to try is probably the NAS website.I would just stick to your guns if the HV is reluctant to refer.The HV probably will not do a detailed assessment.If all else fails go back to your GP and ask for a referal.Regards Karen.

Hi If you need a list tonight the best place to try is probably the NAS website.I would just stick to your guns if the HV is reluctant to refer.The HV probably will not do a detailed assessment.If all else fails go back to your GP and ask for a referal.Regards Karen.

My GP said my son just needs more boundaries and I should try disciplining him consistantly and then come back in a year.

So I wonder if my GP can tell me why at 4 my son is having tantrums when we go to the shops in the wrong order and not when he doesnt get something he wanted from the shops? Eg if I say we are going to Sainsburys ( he hates shopping) then pop in the toy shop on the way he will have a tantrum because I hadnt told him we were going there even though he loves the toy shop?

And maybe he would like to tell me exactly what discipline technique to use because I cant get a word in edgeways through screaming. I cant do time out because we are in town, shouting just makes him worse and he isnt spoilt. He has rules and he sticks to them rigidly. He rarely does anything he knows is wrong except tantrums but I dont think he can help them. I had quite a heated debate with my GP politely explained he has had enough discipline, only gets sweets once a week, doesnt eat additives, crisps, turkey twizzlers etc. I got nowhere so am trying the health visitors out of defiance really and the one I saw originally has autistic son so she must have some idea. Unfortunately it is just the assistants that do the test. And I have a feeling its another developmental check

hang in there i know exactly how u feel reece is exactly the same. but psychologist thinks its all down to him getting stressed :angry: so r now going 2 put him on medication to lower his stress levels then he thinks he will start eating properly and become a normal(wats normal!!!!!!!!)child they make u so mad.i will go along with wat they want and see wat happens . good luck and keep fighting we know our children the best love donnax

My GP said my son just needs more boundaries and I should try disciplining him consistantly and then come back in a year.

So I wonder if my GP can tell me why at 4 my son is having tantrums when we go to the shops in the wrong order and not when he doesnt get something he wanted from the shops? Eg if I say we are going to Sainsburys ( he hates shopping) then pop in the toy shop on the way he will have a tantrum because I hadnt told him we were going there even though he loves the toy shop?

And maybe he would like to tell me exactly what discipline technique to use because I cant get a word in edgeways through screaming. I cant do time out because we are in town, shouting just makes him worse and he isnt spoilt. He has rules and he sticks to them rigidly. He rarely does anything he knows is wrong except tantrums but I dont think he can help them. I had quite a heated debate with my GP politely explained he has had enough discipline, only gets sweets once a week, doesnt eat additives, crisps, turkey twizzlers etc. I got nowhere so am trying the health visitors out of defiance really and the one I saw originally has autistic son so she must have some idea. Unfortunately it is just the assistants that do the test. And I have a feeling its another developmental check

Sorry you have already been to GP with little sucess.If you are concerned and having read posts here you continue to wonder about ASD then don't give up keep on at your GP and anyone else you have contact with.Does your son go to nursery ? If he does you could speak to the Senco there.Karen.

Sorry you have already been to GP with little sucess.If you are concerned and having read posts here you continue to wonder about ASD then don't give up keep on at your GP and anyone else you have contact with.Does your son go to nursery ? If he does you could speak to the Senco there.Karen.

Just to let everyone know that it went really well with the health visitor. On her assessment he came up as 48 months for all except language which he came up as 60 months for and social interaction he scored 36 months ( he is 52 months). It was exactly what I was thinking he would do well in. He speaks more like a 6/7 year old than a 4 year old but has the emotions and social skills of a 2 year old.

Anyway it is good news, the referral is what I wanted and even if it takes an age at least I know he will be seen. She is going to speak to the nursery too.

I have spoken in depth with the nursery as they had expressed concerns. They also confirmed his weaknesses in imaginary play and social skills in that while he is happy to be around other kids he is very much egocentric. He plays his own game alongside another child rather than interacting with them. They also mentioned his fondness of routine and the fact he is obsessive about not getting dirty to the point he wont paint, glue etc. He also got deeply distressed when he got a drip of drink on his jumper.

I had a very similar assessment with my health visitor 2 weeks ago, she saw my daughter at home and in clinic for all of 20mins in total, she did suggest she thinks she shows signs of dyspraxia, id seen dr before this and he said what i described sounds like aspergers.

I then got a phonecall a week later from my health visitor saying she had spoke to my dr and they both agreed that my daughter is in no way autistic, just highly intelligent and a little clumsy! She did say however that we yhave been refered and to see my dr again regarding involuntary breath holding fits my daughter has usually as a result of meltdown when she cant control her breathing. When i went to see him he said he didnt think she was on the spectrum but has refered us as urgent and we should be seen within 4 weeks. Im utterly confused as to why they refered us as urgent if they dont think she is on the spectrum!!!

Im gathering as much information as possible to provide the peadiatrician and urge anyone in this position to do the same. Nursery school however are fantastic support, they voiced concerns in all areas i have and have refered dd to SALT and arranged appointment within school for Ed Psyc, also to portage team who will now visit each week at home and school to support in any area needed( maybe there is a team within your area that can offer support, school may be able to refer you or you can refer yourself)

Dd is also very intelligent and sociable however inappropriatley and on her terms, its likely to be a long journey, but she is worth the fight, im new to the forum and have already found it such a great support, just to talk with others in a similar position makes the fight a little easier, hang in there and best of luck. x

I have my sons full assessment with the health visitor tommorrow. I need her to refer my son to the consultant so I need advice as to what to say. Im concerned as they keep referring to it as a development check and im worried it will be shapes,colours building etc like last one was. Does anyone know what such a test will entail? I have talked at length about my sons difficulties with a health visitor who agreed that it sounds like my son is on the spectrum but this is a different one who is doing the test.

Im worried because my son appears very mature in that he has an extremely good use of language and is very intelligent for his age. Ive not seen a health visitor test imagination, empathy etc so im worried she is going to say everything is fine. I know its not, but the only thing I can think of that she is likely to find is his lack of ability to catch a ball.

Im 99% sure my son has aspergers though I realise diagnosis is a very lengthy process. Im keen to get through it as quick as I can so he can get help at school when he starts in September. Does anyone know of any comprehensive lists of difficulties kids with aspergers can have so I can show her them? Ive been writing things down for weeks but lost my book and now I have mental block :-(