Sign in to follow this  
NikkiSmith

3Di - anyone have any experience of this?

Yesterday I took my youngest to see a private psychiatrist who said that ds3 is definitely somewhere on the autistic spectrum, but unsure where as he's still so young.

So we are now waiting for an appointment to see the child psychologist, at the same practice, who will do the ADOS testing and 3Di - but I can't actually find out much about it! Has anyone been through it? Some clues as to what to expect would be really useful.

I should have asked whilst I was there, but I was a little shocked that he had agreed with me and not just sent me away telling me to stop being so paranoid! :rolleyes:

Thanks,

Nikki.

I could hazard a guess: DS had lots of developmental tests before his ADOS - to see if he was developmentally age-appropriate in physical and ability terms and speech and language development; they also investigated his skills (from perceptual to physical, such as visual tracking, ball catching, walking on tip-toes, balance, etc); then there was an interview, where we went through a typical day (looking for ASD traits such as upset at change in routine, obsessive behaviours, obsessions, sensory issues, social issues, etc). The ADOS came after all of that, but I can't really tell you much about the ADOS, as DS's was a base3 due to his advanced verbal skills and I wasn't allowed to sit in - I do know they played some games (presumably to investigate social interaction, turn-taking, imagination skills).

Hope this is of some help, but I may be completely off-track, as the tests prior to the ADOS were not referred to as 3Di, they were simply referred to as "tests and an interview".

See this link

3DI is a computer programme fromt he Institue of Child Health that asks the parent various questions about the child's development and behaviour to assess the likelihood of ASD. It then analyses the answers and churns out an answer. It can also flag up other conditions like ADHD, ODD or anxiety disorders too. The problem with the 3DI is that is just relies on the parents and doesn't directly assess the child. It also has fairly strict categories and definitions of autism. For example my son scored positive in the four different sections. However he coulnd't be classified as Aspergers by their definition (no speech delay before the age of three) because he did have a speech problem. Equally he couldn't be classified as autism (definition in 3DI is no fluent speech before age of 3) because his speech was fluent. So he was too severe to be AS but not severe enough to be autistic according the the compute programme and would have technically ended up with no diagnosis! Reminded me a bit of the Little Britian 'compiter says no' sketch :rolleyes:

Lx

Thanks for that Liz - I feel slightly better knowing what I am walking into.

Krystaltps - I am grateful for the reply, I didn't know any better! :D

Just got to be patient and wait for the appoinment to come through now.

Nikki.