Sign in to follow this  
gowler30

Private Psychiatrist?

Hi

Does anyone know of a private psychiatrist in the Lincolnshire area?

My 15 yr old has already been diagnosed with aspergers and it has been suggested that at his next appointment he should go on risperidone. Unfortunately the next appointment isn't for another 3 months and his aggressive behaviour has got unmanagable, we aren't going to last another 3 months. I thought I might be able to get to see someone privately a bit quicker, we really need to do something now! :crying:

Hi,

I would strongly adivse you to call the psychiatrist that you have already seen and ask for an emergency appointment, or ask to speak directly to the consultant. If they have already suggested your son should go on Risperidone, you shouldn't have any problems getting a prescription from them. Then they can follow him up at the next appointment.

Give them a call a explain how difficult things have become.

>:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Loulou xx

I did that this morning, and they said they were that busy I'd have to wait for the next appointment which isn't going to be until the end of april. They then went on to tell me that I should have been given that appointment at the last visit and that they would have to go and sort that out, so i don't even know if thats going to be for when they first said.(april)

What do you mean by aggression being unmanageable? The psychiatrist has a duty to act if he is likely to hurt himself or others (this is why they have the power to section patients against their will), so you may need to really spell it out to the secretary if there is a real likelihood that someone will get injured, and demand that she checks with the psychiatrist himself rather than taking the decision herself to refuse a quicker appointment. You should also make sure that you keep good records of who you speak to and when, and what they have said, and put things in writing, to cover your son if he does do something violent against a non-family member, as at 15 he could be charged by the police for this, and find himself in serious trouble, but a history showing that help had been sought and refused, would be very helpful in mitigation.

A private psychiatrist will want to keep your son under very careful review if he puts him on risperidone at this age, and you could be looking at paying for weekly appointments for several months, which could run into thousands of pounds. Also if you see a consultant privately, he can only give you a private prescription, not an NHS one, so unless your GP is willing to write a new prescription for you based on the private script, you will have to pay the actual cost of the drug, which when I took it a few years ago used to work out at around �145 a script. Your GP may not be prepared to write an NHS script if he is uncomfortable with prescribing an anti-psychotic drug like this for a minor.

He is going off at the slightest thing at the moment. where before he only got aggressive and confrontational when he didn't want to do something or when he wanted to do something and couldn't. It seems that he is looking for excuses to kick off now. We only had an appointment about a week and a half ago, where his behaviour was such i didn't think it could get much worse, this is when risperodone was suggested. they said to go away and think about it and it could be prescribed if thats what we wanted at the next appointment. Even in the last week his behaviour has got worse, its gone from violent outburst a few times a week to everyday for the last 4 days.

A few months ago he broke his hand punching the wall, but his anger is now being aimed at us. we have had to get him off his older brother several times, with him saying next time i'm going to get a piece of wood and put you in hospital. (and the scariest part is i think he means it)

Alot of what he does is verbal , hurling abuse about 2" from your face but the look on his face says he absolutely hates you, and i'm not sure how far he would go.

I have contacted everyone i can possibly think of to help, but no-one seems to be taking it seriously. i honestly don't know what to do.

Hi again,

I agree with Emum, you need to call again and INSIST you speak to the psychiatrist (you have a right to). Secretaries will often just tell you that you have to wait for an appointment. If you were asked to go home and think about the Risperidone, then that is what you have done. Therefore, the psychiatrist may well write you a prescription without having to go for another appointment. This was done with my son.

I have contacted everyone i can possibly think of to help, but no-one seems to be taking it seriously. i honestly don't know what to do.

Unfortunately this is not uncommon :( . It seems like a constant battle, but you have to PERSIST and INSIST to get people to take you seriously.

The only other thing i could suggest is your GP (if you haven't already tried). If you have a good GP, you could ask him/her to contact the psychiatrist as a matter of urgency to back up what you're saying.

All the best,

Loulou xx

hi gowler

my son was like this too for most of his 15th year and we were terrified especialy as he is taller than me and very well built due to an obession with weight training and he also threatened his dad with a knife and has thrown chairs and stuff at him we tried for ages to get the doctor to agree to medication but they just kept sending him to councillers (all of which stopped seeing him after a couple of visits due to them being terrified of his meltdowns)

in the end we just kept working through them and giving him eyeque and nightoll (hes been on these for years) and just before he turned 16 at the begining of the year the daily meltdowns stopped

we have no idea why, although we think its something to do with him feeling he is now becoming an adult and more able to make his own disisions about education (hes not been in school for over a year and had no education scince he was 11) but now he just has meltdowns occasionaly and its usually when we expect one due to any changes etc

anyway sorry i couldnt help and im sending lots of >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> and i hope you get through this soon

trace xxx