zaman

Stuttering

My son has developed a stutter over the past year or so. It seems to come and go, but is more noticable when he is excited and his mouth isn't able to keep up with his brain IYKWIM. On the rare ocassion that he has SALT input I have raised it and they weren't bothered by it, as their work was mostly around his lack of inflection in his speech. I will email them and raise it again though as I think that it is getting worse.

When I point it out to him and ask him to slow down his speech, he seems to be unaware that he is doing it.

My question is it is an ASD thing, and if so, have you got any tips to share? Or is it completely unrelated?

It could be... both my boys (the AS one and the so-called NT one) stammer and stutter from time to time. DS 2 occasionally stutters, and DS1 stammers when he is stressed - he can get stuck on the first one or two words of what he is saying and repeat them over and over until he can break the loop. Interestingly, my father who we all believe has unDX AS) has stammered and stuttered all his life - usually when tired. Then again it could be coincidental. Ds1's SALT is not particularly bothered by at the moment either.

hi, my son startred to stutter about 6 months ago, he doesn't do it all the time and lately it has got better,he actually tends to do it when he talks more slowly.When he talks about his favourite subject which is at the moment a playstation game he talks really quickly without a breath for ages and never makes a mistake, but haven't got a clue whether it is an asd thing or not and again nobody seems bothered about it.

Hi,

My son (nine, Aspergers) has recently started to stammer slightly. It's usually at the beginning of a

conversation when he's tryng to find the words he wants to use. In his case I think it's probably got alot to

do with poor processing skills. It doesn't seem to bother him but I will bring it up at his next SALT

appointment. As far as I know stammering is quite a common problem in young children, but whether its

more prevelant in children with ASD's I don't know,

Taggie xx

Hi,

My son (nine, Aspergers) has recently started to stammer slightly. It's usually at the beginning of a

conversation when he's tryng to find the words he wants to use. In his case I think it's probably got alot to

do with poor processing skills. It doesn't seem to bother him but I will bring it up at his next SALT

appointment. As far as I know stammering is quite a common problem in young children, but whether its

more prevelant in children with ASD's I don't know,

Taggie xx

mine does too - but i know many kids who do NT, tho thinking on, a vast majority are ADHD! - i think its more sons brain running away before his mouth! and TBH im the same sometime i twitterpatter word as i leap in :lol:

I have a tendency to stutter when tense in unfamiliar environments such as in job interviews or police enquiries. I recently failed a job interview because of communication issues and perceived lack of confidence in the interview. The position hasn't been filled and the agent was a bit baffled as he thinks my communication is fine with him.

I stutter like mad and have done for as long as I can remember. I don't know if it's an ASD thing though.

At 5 my son had quite a bad stutter for about 6 months or so. It seemed to go of it's own accord but was a worry at the time.

We saw a speech therapist and I can't remember all she said but I think mostly the advice was to ignore it and not to finish the sentence for him and also not to draw attention to it as he wasn't aware of the problem and us pointing it out could have made him worse.

G still speaks very fast - I mostly understand him but it has been pointed out that he can be quite difficult to understand by various professionals. Problem is now if you tell him to slow down a bit he can go in the huff and you never find out what he was saying (although at a guess it probably involves Star Wars!)