Sign in to follow this  
JsMum

Re referred J to The Childrens Disabilties Team

Well after having a talk to the Disabilties Rights commission and confirming J has a disabilty and after a short discussion I have re referred J to the Childrens Disabilty team because in the past the team said that Josh wasnt meeting their criteria for disabilty so with the new understanding and quotes from what is a disabilty from the DRC I put forward the information and after the actual disabilties where quoted I have now started the first process of accessing this team so I thought I would let others know here as we have in the past been fobbed off, refused support and totally let down.

With some parts and chapters of the DDA I can now show that they will be breaking the law if they refuse to give him support and access to services that are for disabled children.

Darky thankyou for your support and knowledge as well, I will be keeping this part of a journey updated.

JsMum

Hi J's mum -

Well done you! The amount of bs we have to put up with just to be able to access the access to help is absolutely mind boggling...

Now you are there, I hope you find some good stuff!

L&P

BD :D

This is interesting to me as I am currently having my won battle with SS. They have told me we don't fit the CDT so I asked for a copy of the criterie which came this morning. The childrens act definition of disability includes being deaf, blind, dumb, or with a mental health problem or developmental or learning disorder as well as the usual physical disabilities. But according to CDT criteria, (in sheffield anyway) they don't work with kids with ADD or ADHD, social, emotional or behavioural difficulties, communication disorders etc etc. They include a list of schools who's pupils can access support too.

We don't strictly fit the criteria for C&F either as there is no abuse or neglect and this is not a short term crisis intervention case either.

I may well get in touch myself.

Thanks >:D<<'>

The childrens act definition of disability includes being deaf, blind, dumb, or with a mental health problem or developmental or learning disorder as well as the usual physical disabilities. But according to CDT criteria, (in sheffield anyway) they don't work with kids with ADD or ADHD, social, emotional or behavioural difficulties, communication disorders etc etc. They include a list of schools who's pupils can access support too.

What are communication disorders, emotional difficulties etc etc? They are developmental disorders and/or mental health problems and therefore you do fit into those criteria!!!

Yeah, that support from those schools is so freely accessed? Yeah right.

I have argued the toss about Aspergers, OCD etc etc till I am blue in the face butthey are adamant he does not fit the criteria. If he attended one of the schools on the list we would be eligible but all the schools are for severe phsyical or severe learning difficulties. He has neither so he doesn't count.

JsMum, is there any chance you could give me a point in the right direction re: legislation etc please? I'd be so grateful if you could. You need to be fully equipped to fight them.

Thanks

Sam x

they don't work with kids with ADD or ADHD, social, emotional or behavioural difficulties, communication disorders etc etc.

This is what I was told last year by the childrens disabilties team and was referred to the child and families team who carried a full core assessment to be told that my son wouldnt meet the tier for Direct Payments.

so no sessional worker, no respite and no home care worker in the home, I was then discharged from the whole social services and have had NO SUPPORT, No contact to ensure that things are ok nothing at all.

I have had private home care and its been so beneficail and supportive that I cant believe that this support can not be provided for as the only reason I have it in place is because J has a disabilty and not only do I need a break but so does he and an opportunity to establish other relations with people.

so I was talking to a very known lady here and she has given me some valuable information and so I talked to the Disabilty Rights commision and on the website they have a description of what a disabilty is.

I have to say when I quoted Js disabilties I didnt mention as such the ADHD, Behavoural and Emotional difficulties, I took quotes off from the Disabilty discription and so ADHD would read as

Attention, concentration and memory difficulties, with Learning difficulties if they have Dyslexia.

I Included the key words like social and communication difficulties, sensory difficulties, mental health disorders, co- ordination difficulties, speech and language difficulties and understanding of a risk of physical danger difficulties.

I did mention the key diagnosed conditions at the end, like ADHD and Anxiety, Autistic Traits, Dyslexia, and suspected ASD so they cant say they are not disabled if all the key descriptions that are in the disorders they have diagnosed are in the beginning.

I really would like you to look at the description of a disabilty and also look at the DDA part 3 chapter 11.

The authority are having there own discription which means that they are treating our children who have a disabilty less favourably, which is discrimination.

JsMum

Edited by JsMum

JsMum, Have you got a nice link to the disability discrimination act? I have just done some browsing, but cannot find those parts you mentioned. It is difficult to read as well isn't it. Anyway, I don't seem to be able to find the proper one I think.

Hi well done but i did find in my asd sons case they did their best but it didnt really help either with behaviuor or sleep so my son has now been referred to great ormond street asd clinic so see if they can help. Mean while his paeditrition as put him some medication to help sleep.

Hi yes here is the information that has information on the public functions duties.

http://www.drc.org.uk/docs/COP_Access.doc

and the disabiltiy discription is included in this as well but there is also another full description on

http://www.drc.org.uk/default.aspx?page=1118&key=

hope this helps

JsMum

Edited by JsMum