Sign in to follow this  
Deedee

Auditory Processing Problems...

My DS (8 ) really struggles with understanding what people are saying to him and especially trying to find the words to reply,we end up none the wiser to what he is trying to tell us a lot of the time bless him..He has very clear speech but totally muddled words(e.g. "I brains broke we run out off breathd") and no sense of time whatsoever..He knows the days of the week but doesn't ever know what day it is if you know what I mean??I would like to hear from any parents who have had experience of this with their children or from anyone older who has/had this problem themselves as we currently have the highest SALT input they can give us and his CELF scores are actually in freefall still...Are there any programmes/therapy I should be persuing or requesting which may help?? Any advice would be wonderful thanks Dee :D

(I put this in the older forum as I would like to hear from people who have already been through this)

Edited by Deedee

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem with my son, who is 7 this year. It is such a problem when he is trying to tell us something and can't find the right words.

I don't have a magic solution but yesterday whilst he was getting very angry at us for not understanding him and was verging tantrum (sure you get the picture :huh: ). I told him quite calmly that we do not understand but we will try to. I got a piece of paper and started to draw pictures of the things i understood he wanted to tell me. It was a sequence of events at playtime he was struggling with telling me. I drew him drew others and slowly we labelled the picture until i could understand what was wrong. Yes it took a while but eventually we got there without a tantrum :D Not saying it would definately work for you but try it, sometimes it is easier to draw pictures just like social stories than to speak.

Good luck

mum22boys >:D<<'>