Sign in to follow this  
Mumble_rocks

Sensory Overload

I need some help!!

While away at camp at the weekend I lost it! BIG TIME!! All the noise, hustle and busy day and changes of leaders! Get the idea??

My leader knows me well and has a severly Autisic son. She calmed me down and said its called Sensory Overload. I have been like this before at home and mum normally helps to calm me down. This July/Augusy I am away for 3 weeks at the World Scout Jamboree, basically 40,000 people in one place! for 2 weeks with the 3rd in Poland!

I am after a litle bit of advice for my leaders who are taking me, there are confussed and want to know what there are best doing if I go into overload and also what it is explained clearly!

I dont how to put it any help??

Firstly well done you for deciding to go. I think you are very brave!

Presumeably you have strategies to help you cope while you are at school/work (not sure how old you are)

Can you use any of these?

Have you ever tried to use ear plugs? I am not on the autistic spectrum but I do understand sensory overload to a certain extent and I find that ear plugs (The yellow foamy type) can help tremendously to put myself back into my own quiet world for a rest.

I would describe sensory overload as simliar to being squashed but mentally. If I was being attacked from all sides by the enemy and couldn't find a way to run, or if I was at the bottom of a human 'bundle',

Another way of looking at the whole ASD thing especially in situations where there are lots of changes as well, is kinda like being in a foreign country. i imagine being carried along by native tribesman, all shouting in an unknown language and with wild animals all around. I don't know where I am, where I'm going, what's happening or what's going to happen. I just want to curl up, shut my eyes block my ears and then wake up safely in bed. or scream, shout, attack them all, and run away!

I suggest that you take earplugs, and if possible a tent to yourself so you can have your own space. I think knowing there is somewhere you can go to be alone is vital. If the understanding leader that you have just had is going that will be good as you know you can trust them. Try to let them know you are not coping BEFORE you go into overload, so they can make sure you can have time out.

I really wish you luck and hope that this helps a bit.

I am 16 at college. :robbie:

I had never thoght about ear plugs! Like the idea!

I unfountly cant have a tent to myself due to severe asthma and in an attack I cant do anything!

I like the way you are discribing it, it is so right.

hiya mumble, my son gets sensory overload too.There is an excellent book by Olga Bogdashina all about sensory perceptions in autism and aspergers syndrome.Ear plugs are a good idea, some sunglasses can help, my son likes blue filtered ones.If you suffer from smell overload sucking a strong mint can help.My son uses an ipod to great affect as he can tune out.You may find the best thing is having somewhere quiet you can go too when you feel overloaded.If your helpers can sort that out for you I,m sure it would help.Good on you for going to the jamboree :D .

Thanks Suze I will look out for that book and see if it is on the catologue for the libary.

Its July/August so hopefully there will be a great need for sunglasses. I have green tinited glasses that I wear for reading and when florestent lights in the class room get to much. I am also going to try the mint idea there is 4 cafes at college which you have to walk through to get to most classes. So I really want to try that! MP3 Players are brilliant I also rely on it so much I have to spend 4 hrs in all traveling on buses dailiy to get to and from college. I am also going to see if there will be anywhere I can go to get away form everything!

These are all brillaint Ideas

Thanks

Katie

Allowing you to stick to whatever side of the room/area you are more comfortable with (left or right, front, back etc.) might help at assemblies etc. Earplugs also help. And having a contact person who will tell you in advance and prepare you for the program of each day would also be great I could imagine.

Thanks! Can anyone recommend any types of EarPlugs?

Sorry for asking so many questions!

No problem. Boots do nice rounded yellow ones that are quite comfortable (there are square ones that really hurt your ears!). I can't find them online but these are similar, just blue: http://dentonblues.com/DBS4earplugs.jpg

(I had these ones before, they were comfortable too but I've only ever bought them from Manchester Airport!)

My son suffers from sensory overload too. A friend with an older child with AS gave us a stress-ball for him to use. When you squeeze the ball it lights up and the colours change and blend very slowly. You are supposed to carry it about in your pocket and when you start to feel a bit stressed (C says it's when he feels himself clenching his jaw or his fists) you take it out, squeeze it and start to count the colours and patterns - it helps you "tune out" from all that's happening around you, apparently.

It doesn't work for C yet, he's too young to control himself like this, but it works well for our friend, he's 13. They order them from a catalogue, if you are interested I could PM you with the details.

Accurate treatment is possible for sensory problems.

We assess through the NHS in Sotland but it is not available except privately in England.

Visual, auditory, touch, taste and smell overloads can be addressed and treated very successfully