David Matthew Baker

Supporting an AS student in mainstream

Well what I thought would be the case was confirmed today. Was talking about a lad that I have problems with in the English class to the SENCO and also happened to mention the AS lad I support, and the fact I wondered if he was getting pressurised into doing things. The reply sounded like it was highly likely. Apparently he has lost 3 phones this year. Onto of that it was also confirmed that whilst he is fine at school, he has quite a few problems at home. I'd asked the other support assistants (who work with him) about this and had been told there wasn't a problem. Nice once again to see effective communication in a mainstream secondary (note the sarcasm please).

Also got told it might not be a good idea to try having a word with him on his own and that the school is happy with things as they are, as he gets on well at school! Was also told by the SENCO when I said I wondered about having a quiet talk to him at some stage about if there was anyway he thought I could help and was told he was unsure that was a good idea because of the lads AS. Most of this you would think I would have been told officially and not just because I happened to mention something.

Was wondering what your thoughts on this would be. What would you do in this situation? I know he doesn't really want to stand out so can you think of any types of support I could give him that would help but not be very obvious? I know some bits but my knowledge is more to do with a special school setting where everyone did the same. Also I can't really go altering the work (well actually I might technically be allowed to but again it would make him stand out) to suite him. Would you try and have a talk with him still even though the SENCO is unsure on the idea?

Also if any of you are AS can you tell me what works (or worked) for you at school and what things in particular you had a problem with. Also if someone was talking to you or helping you where did you prefer them to do it from etc... At the moment I check I'm at the same height (or lower) by kneeling down either infront of the desk or to it's side (where possible). The lessons I'm in with him are English and Geography. The level is Key Stage 3 with SATs being later this year.

At least the lad who I've been having a problem with (not the AS lad) is meant to be having a talk with the SENCO tomorrow. I filled him in with most things I could remember. One of the other teachers seems to think I should give him detentions myself if the problems continue. (Once again this isn't the AS lad and the person in question seems to leave him alone apart from what to me looks like pressurising him into giving him stuff. Naturally he doesn't seem to want to tell any members of staff about it. Hence why I wondered about trying to talk to him in the first place.)

I don't really want to leave things as they are (even though that seems to be the schools take on things) as I don't believe that would be in the best interests of the student I'm supporting. Neither though can I seem to totally ignore the SENCO who after all is my direct boss. Any advice would be appreciated. (I have an okay understanding of autism so you can speak technically if you want to.)

Thanks all, David. :D

David

Can I just say that most of us would give our right arms to have a TA who is as caring, interested & commited as you seem to be from the posts I have read from you on here. I'm hallucinating with tiredness at the mo but will read your post properly tomorrow so I'm sure I understand it, & reply more fully then.

Night night

David

Can I just say that most of us would give our right arms to have a TA who is as caring, interested & commited as you seem to be from the posts I have read from you on here. I'm hallucinating with tiredness at the mo but will read your post properly tomorrow so I'm sure I understand it, & reply more fully then.

Night night

david i'm same wish my kids TA's were like you but need to see proper and read it again will do when i wake up

Ok after re-reading the post i'll give you my input

My teenage lad in secondary mainstream school with some support before xmas was stripped in PE and the lads took the mickey out of him we went into school demanding to sort it out things went quiet and stayed like that lewis took his PE kit and things were ok (so we thought) on wednesday got a call lewis had been avoiding PE because he was scared it would happen again so instead he went from libary to different classes for 2 months , lieing to teachers anyway bottom line was because lewis did'nt want to look like he was a grass did'nt want to tell the teachers who they were avoided the class !!! and now its out in open they've put support in PE too now IF he'd had a male support to talk to i'm 100% sure he would of done (is supports are female bar PE now) and he's happy with the male support , long story but i'm sure that if you spoke to the lad in question he very well might open up

If i'm talking rubbish just ignore me :D

Hi David

I've read this a few times now & think I understand so heres my two pennyworth

Yes I would definitely have a quiet word with your AS lad. It sounds like he needs some lessons in how to say no. Mine was just the same but only with mints, thank goodness, other kids would demand mints off him & we had to tell him quite clearly that wasnt acceptable. A script for when he's being pressured might help, ie when this happens... you say this... or say...I need to think about it.... anything to buy him time to think the situation through.

As far as effective help goes I can only say what works for J. Give him plenty of time to absorb questions, dont expect an answer back straight away its like talking through a satellite with that 10 second delay.

Dont be too quick to leap in & help. Hover. He may "get" it on his own. Secret is to know when to intervene.

Its part of your job to differentiate the curriculum for him so I dont know what your SENCO's problem is.

Can you use your lads interests to help him? J is doing a BTEC in IT at college, & really struggled to get his head round the sheer size of it, with all the modules to complete etc. I mentioned that he was doing taekwondo, & the structure of that, with the belts to be gained, was really clear to him & motivated him. His TA, Dave, promptly produced the modules divided into taekwondo belts, with certificates in the right colours as he completed each one :D Fan bluddy tastic :D

He also produced a mood wheel for him which he keeps in his pencil case. He can point an arrow to "distracted" "angry" "ready to work" etc so Dave knows exactly how J is feeling at any moment.

At school J had a quiet space he could go to & permission to leave the classroom if it all got a bit much. Knowing it was there meant he didnt actually need to use it that often.

A major reason for J's success at college has been Dave's brilliant communication with us. He emails regularly & we are always up to date with any problems, successes, homework etc. What sort of relationship do you have with your lads family?

If I think of anything else I'll pop back. Sorry if you're doing all this already (no I'm glad :D )

Keep up the good work hun.

I think Pearl's given a fantastic reply with some great ideas. How I wish my son's TA was you David, or Pearl's Dave. Whilst our TA is very good I do think my son would open up better to a male. The only year in school when we didn't have any problems was in Year 5 when he had a male teacher and a male TA. Please don't take it personally any lady teachers out there, its just what suits my boy.

Clare x

I think Pearl's given a fantastic reply with some great ideas. How I wish my son's TA was you David, or Pearl's Dave. Whilst our TA is very good I do think my son would open up better to a male. The only year in school when we didn't have any problems was in Year 5 when he had a male teacher and a male TA. Please don't take it personally any lady teachers out there, its just what suits my boy.

Clare x

J had a female TA from junior school who also worked with him right through high school, she was fantastic but yes its been absolutely fab to have a guy working with J. Dave is the main worker, theres also another guy & a woman, they dont believe in just having one at his college so they dont get too dependent. It also looks less "odd" when he walks round with a guy rather than a middle aged lady :D

We have been truly blessed in our TA's, we've only had 2 through school & the ones at college & they have all been marvellous, they are going to get a huuuuge box of Celebrations when J leaves this summer :D

Thanks. :) Will also pass this onto his English teacher (female I'm afraid) as she seems quite interested in learning more. She enjoyed reading "Freaks, Geeks and Asperger's Syndrome and also seems to like talking to me about autism. I've only been at the school a very short while so don't know the parents but she might do. I'll just have to be careful not to fully convince her to look at special schools as a place to move. She seems a bit disheartened by some of the students I help support at the moment. To be honest I don't blame her either. There are 2 who are always a handful and wreak most lessons and another 2 who often will add fuel to the fire (metaphorically speeking).

EDIT: I noticed at the special school during my time there that some of the students seemed to work better with a man. My experience so far in all schools has been lads work better for men whilst girls work better for women. Unless your a really striking young man who they fancy and have a crush on. I know that from when I was at school. Can still remember the way they acted towards one of our history teachers. Luckily I don't have that problem. Whilst at the special school I often had fights about who would hold my hand etc... when I was down the junior end. Apart from when a male supply TA was placed down there there were not any males in that part of the school.

Edited by David Matthew Baker