star

MMR booster

Just wondered if anyone decided to have or not to have the MMR booster and why??

My 4 year old son's booster is due now. There were concerns about ASD when he was younger but it "seems" they may be more speech difficulties - but we are keeping an eye on him as how he develops socially over the next few years. Because of these concerns I feel more worried about whether to have the booster or not. I know the orginial studying linking MMR and autism has generally been said to not be the case but also there are still a few people out there believing their could well be a link.

Any thoughts greatfully received.

Thank you.

I didnt have DS MMrR booster . Deep down i dont think his ASD has anything to do with the vaccine i just didnt want to tempt fate or the battle of getting him into the surgery

I expect if they've had one they may as well have both. The bits I've read seem to suggest if there is a problem it is more likely to be due to the cocktail of drugs given to children very quickly when they're very young. That said a few bits seem to mention thiomersal as been a possible cause though again there have been a number of studies that seem to rule this out.

http://www.mhra.gov.uk/home/idcplg?IdcServ...&nodeId=236

Also from another source:

There have been a number of recent reviews investigating the issue of thiomersal in vaccines. These all agree that, with the possible exception of minor skin reactions, there is not thought to be any significant risk associated with the amount of thiomersal contained in vaccines. Further, no evidence currently exists to prove a link between thiomersal and autistic spectrum disorders6-10. Nevertheless, it has been agreed on a European-wide basis that even though there is no evidence of toxicity, as a precautionary measure, thiomersal should be phased out over time11; a recommendation endorsed by the UK Medicines Control Agency, and the JCVI12. This is dependent upon equally safe and efficacious thiomersal-free alternatives being available.

http://www.hps.scot.nhs.uk/immvax/thiomersal.aspx

I don't know if thiomersal is still in the present jab though. Most things I have read also suggest that if there is any link then it is more likely that of a trigger and another underlying cause must be present. Quite possibly genertic. I think the widely held felling is that Measles, Mumps and Rubella are more of a risk than any side effects of the vaccine. Still if you are worried you could inquire if there is a non thiomersal version available. Some countries in Europe certainly have one without it.

The summary of my book basically is whilst there is nothing to prove that it doesn't have an effect nor is there anything to prove that it does. (At least beyond reasonable doubt.)

I was worried about this at the time my son was about to have the booster. I asked my GP for advice and he did say that he thought much of the immunity had probably been gained in the first jab and I needn't worry about the second if I didn't want it. I didn't and I was reassured that probably the first jab had done its job. I've no idea whether this is still likely to be the case with the way they do the jabs now (and noone should take this to be the case without checking with their GP) but I suggest you ask your GP what he/she thinks - not necessarily about the risks of any harm being caused (because that is such a tricky question) but about whether its crucial to have the booster.

I have to say that no study of any kind will be able to give me enough peace of mind to have my ds 2 vaccinated again. He most definitely regressed after 1st vaccination although I do know he already had autistic tenedencies. It's no easy decision though, I still have moments of guilt about it. My ds severe autism and SLD. I just can't risk the tiny bit of language and social interaction he has left vanishing as well.

Elun xxx

I didnt have DS MMrR booster . Deep down i dont think his ASD has anything to do with the vaccine i just didnt want to tempt fate or the battle of getting him into the surgery

Thanks. That is how I feel. In many ways I am sure it is OK but don't want to risk anything incase it does make his improvements regress in any way.

I expect if they've had one they may as well have both. The bits I've read seem to suggest if there is a problem it is more likely to be due to the cocktail of drugs given to children very quickly when they're very young. That said a few bits seem to mention thiomersal as been a possible cause though again there have been a number of studies that seem to rule this out.

http://www.mhra.gov.uk/home/idcplg?IdcServ...&nodeId=236

Also from another source:

There have been a number of recent reviews investigating the issue of thiomersal in vaccines. These all agree that, with the possible exception of minor skin reactions, there is not thought to be any significant risk associated with the amount of thiomersal contained in vaccines. Further, no evidence currently exists to prove a link between thiomersal and autistic spectrum disorders6-10. Nevertheless, it has been agreed on a European-wide basis that even though there is no evidence of toxicity, as a precautionary measure, thiomersal should be phased out over time11; a recommendation endorsed by the UK Medicines Control Agency, and the JCVI12. This is dependent upon equally safe and efficacious thiomersal-free alternatives being available.

http://www.hps.scot.nhs.uk/immvax/thiomersal.aspx

I don't know if thiomersal is still in the present jab though. Most things I have read also suggest that if there is any link then it is more likely that of a trigger and another underlying cause must be present. Quite possibly genertic. I think the widely held felling is that Measles, Mumps and Rubella are more of a risk than any side effects of the vaccine. Still if you are worried you could inquire if there is a non thiomersal version available. Some countries in Europe certainly have one without it.

The summary of my book basically is whilst there is nothing to prove that it doesn't have an effect nor is there anything to prove that it does. (At least beyond reasonable doubt.)

Thank you very much for such a detailed reply. It is a difficult choice to make as a parent as like you say there is nothing really to prove either way - but as a worry has been voiced in makes you relunctant to take a risk even if there probably isn't really a risk there in the first place!

I was worried about this at the time my son was about to have the booster. I asked my GP for advice and he did say that he thought much of the immunity had probably been gained in the first jab and I needn't worry about the second if I didn't want it. I didn't and I was reassured that probably the first jab had done its job. I've no idea whether this is still likely to be the case with the way they do the jabs now (and noone should take this to be the case without checking with their GP) but I suggest you ask your GP what he/she thinks - not necessarily about the risks of any harm being caused (because that is such a tricky question) but about whether its crucial to have the booster.

Thanks. If I didn't have it done I may try to check immunity at some point as it would show that he had some immunity (although not how strong it is) but it would still give me piece of mind that he was protected.

As far as im aware thiomersal has been removed from vaccines but would ask GP to be sure.

Thanks. Was it the thiomersal part that was the suggested problem/link?

I have to say that no study of any kind will be able to give me enough peace of mind to have my ds 2 vaccinated again. He most definitely regressed after 1st vaccination although I do know he already had autistic tenedencies. It's no easy decision though, I still have moments of guilt about it. My ds severe autism and SLD. I just can't risk the tiny bit of language and social interaction he has left vanishing as well.

Elun xxx

Thanks. That is how I feel really as my son has come on so much. If there was even a tiny, tiny risk that this could be effected I just wouldn't want to take it. In many ways though I am fairly sure there is no risk but even so after the studies and case studies it does leave you wondering..

I seem to remember it thiomersal being the most likely problem but I believe there are studies that have been done on the MMR jab without thiomersal that are still inconclusive either way. Most of these reports seem to end with a scentance that covers themselves just incase. I'll try and remember to find the book tomorrow and post exactly what it says regarding MMR.

I've been wondering whether to let my daughter have the MMR. The only vaccines she had was the ones at 2, 3 and 4 months. So she never had the MMR. I am thinking of letting her have it now, mainly because I am not convinced on the link between MMR and autism. My daughter had the thiomersal free vaccines as a baby, I insisted on it with my GP, but she is more severely autistic than my son is. My son had the MMR as a baby but didnt have the booster, he'd been dx'd with autism by then.

Sarah

I'm another one who isn't prepared to tempt fate.

My ds#1 had the MMR and I'm not convinced it caused his problems but I can't risk his problems getting any worse even if it's only a tiny chance.

Ds#2 had the single jabs just for my own peace of mind.

Thanks. Was it the thiomersal part that was the suggested problem/link?

Not 100% on this one read something ages ago but from what i remember its in the 2,3,4 mth and pre school vaccines and is a type of mercury