Sign in to follow this  
JoolieDoolie

ASD and America - Any advice, please?

Hi, my husband has been offered a job in the state of Michigan for a year. My son is high functioning and aged 5 years. He is in foundation year at the moment with no statement (we have yet to apply as rumour has it that Bradford LEA believe Action Plus is enough).

In the US the children are in kindergarten at 4 and 5 yrs, then start school at 6 yrs old. This means that my son would be in kindergarten for about 4 months, then start school for 8 months, then back to the UK again.

It has taken him awhile to settle in to our primary school. He suffers from anxiety (typically) but he does seem to cope with things at school, but lets out his anxiety and worries when at home - behaviour problems, crying, weeing, etc. I am wondering whether the upheaval of going is worth it?

We have to weigh up whether a year in Michigan is worth the upheaval of moving our family of five there and whether we are running the risk of having a really unsettled and anxious 5 yr old.

Does anyone have any experience of moving? Any views on how ASD is handled in the USA (Michigan State?). Any advice would be really appreciated - many thanks.

Joolie

The only knowlege I have is of a member on another forum who has moved back to USA after having a dreadful time with our Educ system, she reports that all is brilliant after only a few weeks their equivalent of a statement has been drawn up etc. But her state may be very good!

A x