Sign in to follow this  
claire33

ADOS test: what is it??

The ADOS test is the main diagnostic tool for ASD. Speech and language have to test first to establish which grade of ADOS to use (it goes from 1 to 4) - C was given ADOS 3 because he is so verbal. But because it was a 3, I wasn't allowed in the room with him at the time and, naturally, he wouldn't communicate to me what had happened. The paed was quite good though and explained some of the things that they did - mostly in the form of games and talk. They were looking to see if he had good reciprocal language, how he narrates familiar and unfamiliar events, if he can take turns, use imagination, make good eye contact, respond to and use gesture. All the kinds of things that would flag up problems on the spectrum. I don't know how much the other grades differ from the one that C had though. It's usually preceded by an interview - where they ask questions about a typical day - looking for routines and rituals, problems with grooming, obsessions, etc. The ADOS, the interview, the SALT report and any relevant medical info are all taken into account before a dx is given.

Hope this is of some help. I'm sure others on the forum will have been able to view the ADOS and give you some more information on it than I can though.

I requested one from paed as we thought youngest (ADHD) may have AS.

He is 11 and the test was age appropriate.

It involved playing with toys, telling stories, doing puzzles, and talking.

It was quite detailed and i watched from another room.

We were told he has traits but not enough for a Dx.

They looked for eye contact, imaginative play, lateral thinking, and language and communication.

I'm sure there wsa more to it than that but that is basic outline