Sign in to follow this  
witsend

school saga drags on

Hi - just wanted to post an update on our school situation, which some of you are familiar with. Not really got very far yet, think last time I posted we were about to go and look round 2 mainstream schools. Well we went and were quite impressed with one and not at all impressed with the other. The first one is the one my son is fixated on anyway, they have said they are full and so now it's in the hands of the LEA guy to talk to them, he is going to write to them requesting they let ds in but expects them to say no so then there will be further negotiations and possibly an appeal.

Thing is whilst we were talking with LEa chap he said he'd rung the school breifly to talk about admitting my son and they said that some of the kids from sons primary school had seen son looking round the school and one child had raised concerns about (sons) prescence at the school saying if he went there he would disrupt his learning!! :tearful: Now I have a good idea who this child is, I think it must be a lad my son didn't get on with at his last school, there were no major incidents they just didn't like each other. I'm pretty sure this lad has AS too and his mum is a teacher at the school son wants to go to!! So it doesn't take much to add it up that basically it must be the mum/teacher who has raised concerns, so now I'm guessing any chance son had of getting into this school is gone. :crying: To be honest I was pretty gobsmacked and LEA guy said he'd never come across a situation like this before! I just feel instantly victimised by it and think now even if we did manage to get son in at this school there could be worse problems ahead with this sort of attitude going on and he's only been for a look round.

Don't know how things can get worse really.

The only positive thing was that the LEA guy seems prepared to fight our corner as far as poss (but he too has doubts wether this school would be right for ds) and he did suggest we look at another school we weren't aware of. This one is an independant mainstream 'grammar' where LEA send a few kids in 'special' cases. It is much smaller (200 kids in total) 16 in a class and has lots of great extra curricular activities etc and good Senco dept. Only catch being it is close to the school son attends now (an hour away by taxi!), and we were all looking forward to him being somewhere local.

Anyway son still v keen to go to first school (haven't told him about the childs comments) but I;'ve told him it might not be possible so he has said he would be interested in the other school despite the distance. We are going to visit the school soon but still no guarentee they will take him, but I'm guessing LEA wouldn't of suggested it unless there's s good chance of him getting in there.

Sorry getting a bit rambly now, it's all just as confusing as ever and no chance of it being sorted in time for when school starts again so son will have to return to current school for a while which is becoming unbearable :tearful: .

Sorry to be so miserable would be nice to post a cheerfull post - maybe one day eh? :pray:

Luv Witsend.

thats awful about the lad/mother saying that your son would disrupt the lessons, surely the LEA wont be put off by that, i would hope not anyway.

we are inexactly the same situation as you are only the other way around, we want M to go to a special school and the LEA wont entertain the idea and we go to tribunal on 18th june.

i hope this other school is good for your son.

love jen

xx

Oh Witsend,

How awful for you. Don't give up hope though it sounds like the LEA guy is on your side, surely comments like what this mother/son have made could not sway the decision.

I truly hope something gets sorted out real soon.

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Clare x

Bizarre - so now children and their parents decide on school admissions?? :unsure::wacko:

I would think that the school would have to have very clear reasons and a lot of evidence to prove that your son's presence in the school would be disruptive, etc. But as you say, attitude is important; you wouldn't want your son to be in a place where it's clear from the start he's not welcome even if, on paper, they are able to meet his needs.

Sorry to hear this uncertainty is dragging on for you; hoping and praying that a solution presents itself quickly. :pray: The grammar school sounds promising: I hope the visit goes well.

K x