Sign in to follow this  
RedR

Toilet Training

Hi,

Daniel strated toilet training last Thursday and, on the whole, things are going very well :thumbs: However, there seems to be a bit of an issue about poo, sorry if this post turns out to include tmi!!

As I've said we started on Thurs and while he has been quite happy to wee on the loo he became extremely distressed about pooing ,this was at nursery but his teacher sorted him out and all appeared ok. He then went for a poo when I put his nighttime nappy on and that has been it. No poo since Thursday evening and this is most unlike him. So, is there anything I can do? He is non-verbal so explaining things might not work. Also, how long do I leave it before I take him to the GP?

thanks

Kath

Hiya

It is REALLY common for children not to want to poo in a toilet or potty.

It's as if they see the poo as part of them that they don't want to let go of.

My youngest (ADHD) would go so infrequently that constipation was a long term problem for years. He stopped pooing if he could help it when he was around 2 and a half and we only got him off lactulase and laxatives when he was around ten.

My eldest (AS) never had a problem holding on to poos when at home but even now at nearly 14 and aminstream in many ways he will only poo at home, never at school!

I read somewhere that children can often do this as they can be scared when seeing the poo as its something that they don't usually get to see,( nappies usually removed and discarded) and when witnessing something leaving their body it can be quite scary.

It suggested letting the child see the contents of a dirty nappy occassionally, without making a fuss or making it seem like something dirty and saying something like "oo look you did a poo".

I must admit although it sounded a bit odd i suppose there was some logic there.

I tried this with dd from an early age and she didn't seem to care either way. It never was an issue when she was younger.

Now, aghhhh!!! She started potty training and pooing quite happily on the toilet or potty then gradually a problem began and now she can go a fortnight without pooing, even on 15ml of lactolose daily! She seems unaware what to do when the sensation to go is there, and will shudder and cross her legs crouched on the floor, whilst emiting wind however if i sit her on the toilet nothing happens and she doesn't seem able to push it out, without being too graphic she has difficulty with muscles contracting.

We are now on the waiting list for the constipation clinic.

Physio came on friday and said dd does have low muscle tone and this may impact on her ability to toilet, but is only a possibility.

I've read these problems can be common in ASDs and can be due to a number of reasons, however as you are only just a week into toilet training it sounds quite normal, it could maybe just be getting used to the sensation of sitting on a toilet or potty as apose to doing it in a nappy and may just take a little time to get used to the change, and routine of things, also as he is now more aware of bodily motions and the sensations rather than it just happening in a nappy without much thought, it could just be the newness of the bodily sensations and understanding what is meant of him.

As you say though trying to explain to a child the need to give a little strain, is quite difficult to get across!!

Maybe a kids potty training book with good, clear pictures may help?

I wish you the best of luck, sounds like your'e off to a good start with wee's. I hope its a problem quickly solved for you, and just something that needs a little time.xx