Sign in to follow this  
witsend

DLA question

Hi - ds DLA getting due for poss renewal soon I think, was just wondering if I'm right in thinking you cannot get the care element if you dont qualify for the mobility element?? He still does need more help than most kids with care stuff but I have to say mobility now is not a problem at all so am just trying to work out wether should re apply or not.

Cheers - Luv Witsend.

From: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople...ort/DG_10011731

Disability Living Allowance has two parts called 'components':

• a care component - if you need help looking after yourself or supervision to keep you safe
  • a mobility component - if you can't walk or need help getting around
Some people will be entitled to receive just one component; others may get both.

The care component and mobility component are paid at different rates depending on how your disability affects you.

Mobility difficulties are not just to do with difficulties with walking running etc. If an older child is unable to use public transport on their own or a younger child needs a much greater than normal level of supervision you may incur additional transport cost by (for example) having to use the car more often.

The question you need to answer is: Does your DS need more help when getting around than a 'normal' child of his age. If you think carefully about this the answer may surprise you.

Simon