Sign in to follow this  
charliesvoice

Autism/asperger adult social groups

Hi Everyone!

Myself and some other parents have set up support groups for parents/carers of children with ASD in our local area and we are now organising activities for the children. But we're all to aware of the lack of support for ADULTS. I've been thinking about social groups for adults with Aspergers and ASD's. Has anyone been to an adult group - what was it like?

what worked?

what didn't work?

my son is only 6 so i haven't had any experience of the adult support services or the experiences that come with adults on the spectrum. If anyone has any advice it would be a great help? If there are any adults with ASD it would be great to hear if the social groups are a good idea and what these group should include?

Thanks!! :thumbs:

Surrey NAS run meetings for adults with AS - these include activities like bowling + meetings where social skills are discussed.

I cannot find a quick link, but you could make contact via their web-site: www.mugsy.org (then click on "local").

Myself and some other parents have set up support groups for parents/carers of children with ASD in our local area and we are now organising activities for the children. But we're all to aware of the lack of support for ADULTS. I've been thinking about social groups for adults with Aspergers and ASD's. Has anyone been to an adult group - what was it like?

what worked?

There are a number of AS groups around for adults and I have attended a few of them. Some groups were specifically set up for adults, but others are the result of members of children's groups getting older. They seem to work well and provide a useful focal point for the establishing of more services for adults.

Hi Charliesvoice,

A group has recently started up in my area - I'm not personally involved with it but I gather it offers social activities and advice on employment, benefits and other issues.

I'm not personally involved with the group, and my daughter won't go to anything like that but I'll see if I can find a link to some details about it.

K x

There is a general enquiries email address and contact number on the NAS site to do with their Social Groups. I'm sure they'd probably be happy to let you know if there are already services in your area and if there isn't advice you on what is found useful elsewhere.

http://www.nas.org.uk/nas/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=151&a=6188

Good luck, David.