Eva

Regularity and children

Hi everyone,

please excuse the topic but I'm curious to know how regular other people's children are, (I'm talking about pooing).

My son goes twice or once a week, but he doesn't soil his undies in between and he doesn't have a bloated tummy either. He eats meat, fruit and veges everyday and drinks water everyday. A naturopath has just told me that my son isn't normal, (in terms of regularity that is...) ,and that there are toxic waste toxins in his body that are harmful :unsure: (I'm paraphrasing here by the way), and now I'm panicking :tearful: .

Thanks all, replies gratefully received.

Eva

From speaking to other parents from time to time I would say that this is less often than 'normal' but it is not a cause for panic. If you are worried you should speak to your GP.

I would also check the qualifications of your Naturopath. I once met a young woman (a college friend of my cousins) who had become dangerously underweight because of a tummy bug she had on holiday, her Naturopath had suggested a series of special diets over the course of several months to solve the problem, none of which had worked. If she had had a short course of antibiotics on her return from holiday she would have been fine. As Naturopathy is an unregulated profession anyone can set themselves up as a Naturopath and by effectively blocking access to proven effective treatments they can do more harm than good.

Simon

Edited by mossgrove

If he's going a coupla times a week, has always been like this, & has no other tummy problems, I wouldnt worry. Its a change in whats normal for him that should ring alarm bells.

DS has always been this way. Our GP's opinion was that it was normal - for him. How old is your DS? Mine had no problems until he was about 7and then the leakages, etc. started. Unknown to us at the time, he hadn't been 'performing' his usual twice weekly for a month or so. This led to nearly 2 years of medication and eventually hospitalisation for 'retraining'. Happily he is now fairly regular - anytime from 2-4 times per week but at 11 years old has to be told to 'go' every night or he wouldn't.

I guess what I'm saying is that if your GP thinks he's ok, and he's not ill, then that's fine. Watch out for changes in pattern and perhaps take note if he suddenly doesn't 'perform' twice weekly.