Sign in to follow this  
rainbow queen

what help do social services do to help?

hi

my 6 year old was dx asd in may...............he has no statement and is in mainstream school........i get 2 hours a week help-lady takes him out.

hes good at school but when hes at home its a nightmare -right from when he gets up till...then when i pick him up it starts again....

im single mum with another son whos 4 whom i had appointment about today -possible adhd-they going send me queistioniars about adhd and aspergers.

is there any more help i could be having?

im trying my best to cope .........ive got them both on fish oils -magnesium and b6 and dont let them have e numbers ect...

since my 6 year old went back to school -in year 2 hes been a real handfull.............

im discharged from camhs now -well at least regarding my 6 year old........since he got dx

saw camhs this morning about other son..............ive been on parenting courses.........

i just wondered what help social services are meant to give ect..........the 2 hours i get are from the disabled team social services i think...........

i get no break from them regarding family -they dont see there dad ...my family cant deal with them both together and my parents are really old.

feeling totally drained by it all :tearful:

rq xxx

RQ,

Sorry don't know what support SS can offer but I am sure someone who does will come along and post soon.

Just wanted to send you a few >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> hugs and say I am sorry to hear you are having a difficult time with little if any support.

Clare x x x

i tried to get help from ss but was told my family was not needy enough wat ever that means!!

reeces behaviour is really bad and can scream and lash out 4 hrs at a time we just wanted some sort of break so we could spent some quality time with shan on her own. as shes gets pushed out abit! which makes me feel awful.

goodluck hope u get a better response from ss than we did

love donnaxxxxxxxxx

Hi there it sounds really exhausting, I can only imagine as I only one and he is enough believe me so your doing a much grander job than me, I would ask for a carers assessment and a core assessment these are done by the social services, they will determine what other additional support you could access, they have very strong criterias but as a carer and as your children have a disability you should be entitled, I have had to write letters explaining my situation and threatening to write letters of complaint if I wasnt given some help and i did get it so it may mean looking at complaining if your not satisfied with the outcome.

Contact a family have provided me with a lot of litriture regaurding what kind of support I should be entitled to and what are my sons rights, it is very enlightening reading, so I really do recommend these and they also have a helpline for emotional support, they are very experienced with understanding the presure and energy needed looking after a child with a disabilties and you have two with difficulties/disabilites.

http://www.cafamily.org.uk/services.html

I would also look at requesting the school do an assessment on both boys, the fact your son is having meltdowns at home is a sure sign that his needs may not be met, and he has overload when coming home, ACE is a great website for finding out more about assessments of SEN.

http://www.ace-ed.org.uk/

so do check these out, National Autistic Society can also support you further with the educaitonal side with their advocacy helpline and in some areas they have outreach workers to look at educational plans.

In your area they have carers service this again has prooved very supportive for me and so I want to recommend these too so do check out your local carers service.

JsMum

Edited by JsMum