Sign in to follow this  
Annea

Dissability discrimination

I ahve finally sent of my dissability discrimination claim for my daughter....

I have support of my solicitor and a rep from IPSEA will be representing me, but it is still scary, has anyone gone through the process?

How did you get on?

Anne

yes, we have & were the first in Lincolnshire & we won ! Our child is not on the spectrum but has visual perceptual problems & dyslexia. We represented ourselves , it was a very emotional experience because we were fighting for our child's rights. Felt quite daunted too but the opposing side are probably feeling scared too especially as they may have broken the law!! They may put up what seems a convincing defence, don't be deterred. Having a solicitor & Ipsea rep should help a lot for support & advice specially on any legal technicalities. Be prepared for anything we were totally honest & weren't prepared for the Head of the school we were taking for discrimination to be as 'economical with the truth' as he was, to put it very politely! !

Good luck & hope all goes well!

Wishing you good luck, you are doing a very brave thing but hopefully it will give the clear message that the Educational System can not treat children the way they do, I wished looking back I had of looked at DDA and I did have all the information, but I was so busy with transferring him away from the school that had failed him that I needed to fight for the provisions that he needed in the new school and had no time left for DDAs.

I think its really hard to hear letters where facts are not what they are ment to be and that some establishments will try and erode all responsibility by shining up there awards and gold certificates when at the same time they are failing children.

I wish you loads of luck and that the outcome is positive and well done you as so many parents wont fight back.

JsMum

Thanks both,

I am not convinced we will win becaue although the school are definitely in the wrong, the wording of the claim means that in ur case the school may have a loophole :( BUT I will fight them as my dd now in year 9 has been discrimnated not once but twice for the same thing believe it or not!

Will not go in to details as I know their are people here who know the school my children go to... but it is sooo wrong when a head will stand and spout in the prospectus about equality and caring until the time comes to put the effort in and then it's suddenly someone elses fault.

I am waiting for a date and will let you know how it goes!

Hi Anne,

We also went to tribunal for discrimmination and won. We represented ourselves. I must say the tribunal people are excellent at interviewing the school and parents, getting everything into perspective such as training for staff incidences that happen, how they handle them etc.

We were so surprised to find the teacher and headmistress lying at the tribunnal. I have always wrote down my concerns in a school dairy or sent letters to school and it was this evidence we used to prove the school discriminated against our son.

Its a stressful experience but worth while.

Go for it girl!!!!

Lynn

Thanks both,

I am not convinced we will win becaue although the school are definitely in the wrong, the wording of the claim means that in ur case the school may have a loophole :( BUT I will fight them as my dd now in year 9 has been discrimnated not once but twice for the same thing believe it or not!

Will not go in to details as I know their are people here who know the school my children go to... but it is sooo wrong when a head will stand and spout in the prospectus about equality and caring until the time comes to put the effort in and then it's suddenly someone elses fault.

I am waiting for a date and will let you know how it goes!