Sign in to follow this  
Stephanie

Walking On Toes, Time to Change ...

After getting a referral through OT (yes they did something good for once!) I took my son to the Podiatry and Gait clinic today as he has walked on his toes since he started walking and is now 6 and a half. Over the last few months I have noticed that his ankles are slightly turning inwards as a consequence of how he walks. When he is standing still or running, he uses flat feet and the Podiatrist confirmed that there is nothing structually wrong with his legs. My younger son does it too.

He said that we need to stop my son walking like that and encourage him to walk properly otherwise there will be long term consequences (he also has tight hamstrings and poor muscle tone as a result of how he walks). He said that kids walking on their toes for sensory input is nonsense and if we want him to stop walking like that we can. He said walking aids/shoes etc wouldn't be right for him as he will rely on them too much.

He said our journey will be long and hard and that we will need to put in 3 times the effort with him that we would with an NT child, that he needs to be doing activities at all times, exercising, drawing, running around in the garden, swimming etc etc to develop his muscles and hand to eye co-ordination.

Our only problem is getting our sons buy in ... I have promised a new Tamagotchi on November 1st if he tries his hardest to walk on flat feet, other than bribes, and threats of what might happen, I can't think of anything to encourage him not to toe walk.

Also, he hates sport because he doesn't think he's good at it (and he isn't really because he finds it too much effort and can't co-ordinate himself), he can't ride a bike, and he is not really into outdoor things, walking tires him, but he loves climbing and doing that kind of thing, playgrounds, chasing around the house with his brother etc. He goes to a disability sports club once a week but there isn't much running around. He'd rather be watching Tom & Jerry or on his PC.

He's not overweight or anything, in fact too skinny if anything because he eats a very limited diet.

What can we do to help him ... other than nag? Everytime I see him on his toes, I am saying "heels!"

How can I get him strengthened up and improve his muscle tone? Any good ideas, equipment, shoes etc I should know about.

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

My DS is ok in this dept (he only toe-walks when he has no shoes on), but I had a child in my class last year who was very dyspraxic... she always walked on her toes, and at 9yrs of age her Dr was beginning to consider surgery for her compacted calf muscles and tight hamstrings.

She had an IEP, so I wrote into it, as a PSD target, that she was going to try her hardest not to toe-walk. With her consent, we also asked all the children in the class if they could gently remind her to walk on her heels whenever they saw her toe-walking (I would only recommend this with a sensitive class, which mine were). This worked extremely well - it may be worth a try with your boy, considering his age his classmates may think it's good fun - so long as the teacher emphasises that they mustn't shout at him or give him into trouble for it.

We had a target ladder on the wall, and if she had managed to get to lunchtime without toe-walking she moved up the ladder, and the same again after lunch.

Her mum also bought her new boots - rather tight ankle boots, a bit like baseball/basketball boots. Because they had a rather firm sole it made it more of an effort to keep on her toes and the fact that they hugged her ankles meant that she felt more supported.

Considering the amount of time your boy spends at school, it really is worth the effort asking the school for support. In Scotland, most schools are now operating target diaries for children (I'm not sure about down south) and this would be an excellent place to put such a target. Also the boots may be worth a try.

Sorry, not much, but I hope it helps....

Hi Stephanie, i dont know if this is any use to you but as a child i had a very high instep and it caused me a lot of pain when walking and i used to walk in a rather bouncy fashion to stop it being so painful not quite toe walking but not putting too much pressure on my feet if i could help it. My gp suggested bare foot walking as much as possible (which i still prefer) along with soaking my feet at night to relax the muscles. I now have quite flat feet and when i was getting my feet measured for running shoes a couple of years ago the person who was fitting my shoes said a lot of bare foot walking can change the instep, i am aware this might not be the reason for his toe walking but i do remember feeling more relaxed after soaking my feet so this may help.

Nicola

Hi Stephanie,

My son is 10 years old

He has continually toe walked to the point where his 3 smallest toes turned under his feet to help him balance. We have been visit a podiatrist for 2 years. This podiatrict measures and fits my son with insoles. Over time the depth of the insole has increased and this is correcting his balance. However, he will still walk on his toes when he is not wearing his shoes, but not to the same degree as before.

You need to make sure he has a good pair of supporting shows which helps to restrict him walking on his toes.. Trainers are no good as they just continue to toe walk all the time.

It also puts the spine out of place so a visit to a chiropractor will help.

Is there no special needs football in your area, which your child could attend.

Jen

Edited by lynne

Hi Stephanie

I felt guilty reading your post because my son walks on the outside of his feet and I have to say I have left it at the bottom of the to-do list. :unsure: He seems to have so many things to remember to do with concentration, organisation, getting dressed & school generally that it felt like one too many things to be reminding him about. :shame:

However, the fact that it does get worse over the years and seems to cause physical damage means I really should get it checked out. Thanks for the prompt!

So well done you thoughtful mum you :clap: & good luck with your efforts!

love Sarah