Sign in to follow this  
maisies_mummy

Soiling....

Ok Maisie has never been dry through the day (she is 5) but pooing was ok from the age of 3, only now she has started again she has pooed her pants at school about 4 times since September I can see the teachers are getting annoyed with it now (don't blame them one bit, I am getting annoyed too) i have warned her she will have to go to school in nappies, she stinks etc etc but nothing like that bothers her :wallbash:

Just a bit concerned that it has started again, and even more worried that the other kids at school will start to say she smells. At our last meeting with the phycologist she just said Kids with AS quite often don't worry about things like that!

Ok guys any ideas on how to get that it is dirty to sink in??? :unsure: She is going to the incontance (sp) clinic on wednesday but was refered for the wetting so now got to say neither is right and I really am not sure that there is anything wrong down there, I think it is just maisie likes it. Don't ask me why though lol.

Hi Maisie's mum,

O absolutely refuses to poo in the toilet - it's been a big issue for him for a long time. He isn't verbal enough to explain his anxiety but it is a HUGE problem for him as he is so afraid. We have regular visits from the continence nurse and he has tried his best to help. He says I should clear him up with little fuss but each time stating in a neutral tone 'poos go in the toilet' we then have to wave goodbye to the poo in a cheerful manner showing that poo down the toilet is nothing at all to worry about whatsoever!! (sometimes I want to laugh hysterically when we're doing this and sometimes I could scream!) So far we havent got very far but I try to live in hope. I would say with Maisie that as she has achieved this once she will again but something has stopped her progress at the moment. Is she especially anxious at the moment or has anything changed recently? I hope things start to improve for you soon, I know how frustrating it can be

Elun xxx

she might be getting stressed with school, does she worry about the strange set up of school toilets, or is she worried about asking or telling teachers she might need help,because my son flatley refuses to use school toilets,he has dry himself on a towel :rolleyes: so we got him one to use for that purpose rather than using general towels :unsure: and which is why he comes home for lunch, and he messes his pants, because he doesn,t regard needing the toilet top priority to what he is occupied with,he won,t use public toilets either,and trys, to push it back when he desperatey needs to go :unsure::wallbash:

We had the same problem with our son. He is OK now (aged 6), but we still have to take spare clothes out just in case.

For him, it was just a worry about various issues which manifested itself as soiling. What we did was introduce a 'Feelings Book' at the end of each day in which he would write or draw things that had happened during the day. A smiley face was for good things and a sad face was for bad things and a worried face was for things that worried him - these then had some sort of description which allowed us to interpret them. This flushed out (pardon the pun) a number of issues which were not clear to us and we were able to do something about it. One was not liking the toilets, one was not wanting to miss playtime, one was a case a mild bullying.

We also introduced a time after tea time called 'Big Boys Time' which allowed him to choose to play on the computer etc (a real treat). He was only allowed that after a day without accidents.

Good luck - I know it can be hugely frustrating.