bluefish

bonfire night

dreading bonfire night as son terrified. black out windows dont help. as he still hears it all, any one else got any copping stratergys( dyslexic so sorry about spelling errors)

Difficult one really as its not just one night anymore and its not just for a few hours, otherwise I might suggest listening to music or a story on ear phones, or perhaps going to the cinema. I am sure someone will come along with some good suggestions and then perhaps you can carefully plan the evening and make it fun.

Clare x x x

There was another thread that mentioned fireworks that might intrest you. You can get to it by clicking on This Link

Is it the flashing or the sound or both that bothers your son most? I find the noise really difficult (see thread above) but easier if I can see them - I actually quite enjoy watching a 'proper' display but I need lots of preparation - ear plugs, headphones, thick hat over both of those, someone with me, quieter area retreat - to cope.

You could try ear defenders............... or utting on his fave dvd very loud, , playing a game and making a tent to hide under.I,d try a distraction type method ........is it the sounds he dislikes or the lights/flashes??.................we are being plagued quite badly with fireworks at the moment.My son has been going nuts about them, he keeps trying to phone the police :whistle: , he actually likes the fireworks, its the fact that the people who are setting them off are breaking the law that does his head in.He knows that the law states you can,t set them off after a certain time , and you should only do it for the 2 weeks leading up to bonfire night (I think thats right). :wacko:

Hi

We use ear defenders, the type that people who shoot use (should be available from a farming type outlet). We find that having some control over the noise means that our little girl will often choose to take them off after a while as she knows she can use them if she is finding things too bad.

Also find an exhausting day (swimming etc) and an early night (helped with Phenergan if necessary) can get her off to sleep before the big bangs start.

Hope this helps

This probs wont help NOW, but.... JP hated fireworks when little.

Then just 3 years ago, it went. Just like that.

We've attended the church bonfire ever since, making up for all the years we couldnt go.

And he loves it.

This probs wont help NOW, but.... JP hated fireworks when little.

Then just 3 years ago, it went. Just like that.

We've attended the church bonfire ever since, making up for all the years we couldnt go.

And he loves it.

it gives me hope for the years to come! i assumed (hopefully wrongly) that i would never get to enjoy fireworks with him!

thanks x :thumbs:

You could try ear defenders............... or utting on his fave dvd very loud, , playing a game and making a tent to hide under.I,d try a distraction type method ........is it the sounds he dislikes or the lights/flashes??.................we are being plagued quite badly with fireworks at the moment.My son has been going nuts about them, he keeps trying to phone the police :whistle: , he actually likes the fireworks, its the fact that the people who are setting them off are breaking the law that does his head in.He knows that the law states you can,t set them off after a certain time , and you should only do it for the 2 weeks leading up to bonfire night (I think thats right). :wacko:

thats the best thing i have heard for ages!!!! E hates any rules being broken.. and thinks we need to report it to mouuntain rescue!??? thanks, I am really starting to beleive i am not alone :thumbs:

Hi

We use ear defenders too. They are his own and he has decorated them and made a label for the top (saying Ear Defenders) - he likes his signs..... Helps having the sense of empowerment in his case. We just got ours from B&Q.

We also make sure we go to a local display just down the road from his Grandparents house so he knows he can escape if needs be but the last 2 years we have made it through to the end. He is aged 6.

A special treat when we get there also helps - we give him one of those glow sticks which he loves. Nothing like a bribe.........