Sign in to follow this  
bluefish

echolalia

E speaks using quotes and slogans but also large chunks of dialogue he has heard (sometimes and more now he is a bit older )this is ofen in context.... will he be able to develop more normal speach in later life? as at moment Tesco every little helps is a frequent answer! Also repeats over and over and over .........can this improve. it used to make me laugh now it makes me sad.

Thanks

My son was very similar at that age, his speach is less echolalic now (is that a word :unsure: ).However he went on to develop accents and do impersonations :rolleyes: , he uses these in a very comical way and often has us in stitches. :thumbs: I have heard Peter Sellers may have had AS, he was very similar using accents and going into a character as a way of dealing with anxiety , which is what my son does.You may find as your son gets older that things that make you sad now , no longer will.Have you had any in put from SALT?.............my son only now has therapy(he,s 12).......it is done in a group and he,s learning how to start conversations, talk to his peers etc.Best wishes suzex