Sign in to follow this  
Jadensmum

Choosing a school

Hi everyone,

Had a visit from inclusion support yesterday and they asked me to start looking for and getting Jaden's name down for a nursery and school. He is 2 and has epilepsy and a provisional ASD dx. I don't know where to start... the school's in my catchment area are poor (in my opinion!!!:) so the only ones left are one which is 4 miles away (not a problem for me but we would have to move to get a place) and a private school.

Someone has said to me that school's can refuse a child if they have ASD if they do not have the support... but I didn't think they were allowed to do that??????

The 2 school's I have mentioned do have good special need's department - but how can I plan ahead when I don't know how far along the spectrum he is?

Will he even be able to go a nursery? (He seems like he could be in nappies for a while yet and I can't take my eyes off him for a sec without him falling over/ walking into something / banging his head etc)

So many questions I know... but very confused.

Denise

Denise,

I had to remove my son from his first primary school because of the problems we were experiencing with the headteacher. This school was only a four minute drive away from our home.

The second primary school that I wanted my son to go to was approximately 4 miles outside my catchment area. It is a small school, with good SEN staff. I didn't contact my LEA to see if this move could be possible, instead I contacted the headteacher.

The headteacher interviewed me, he also wanted to look at all my son's reports/documentation. The headteacher didn't put my son's details to the school's governing body for an admissions application, instead he offered my son a placement during the interview. The headteacher mentioned that he could use his discretion to offer a placement in this way.

Denise, try phoning around outside of your catchment area - you may be lucky and find a headteacher with the same approachable attitude.

Edited by Helen

I would definitely phone around as Helen suggests. If you can get the Head(s) on side then it will hopefully be a lot easier to plead your case for a school outside of your local area. Good luck. :)