Sign in to follow this  
soraya

Advice please

Nick has started to leave the house and go wandering without telling anyone, it usually happens at about 10pm, he comes back after an hour or so. He says he gets "funny feelings" and has to leave the house to clear his head. We have started to lock the doors, but he just jumps out of the window. He is now 14 so l dont want to have to watch him all the time and keep him locked up. I have started to say if he needs to go out to make sure he has his phone with him and to take a coat!! I know this sounds really iresponsable, but i just dont know what else to do. Has anyone else had this problem? :unsure::unsure:

Hi soraya...

Have no personal experience with this so don't really know what to suggest, but a couple of thoughts...

If he's feeling like this regularly, perhaps you could ask him to try a 'preventative' de-stressing walk a little earlier in the evening - 8 or 9 or something?

Could there be something he's not telling you? A mate he's meeting or something like that?

At the risk of causing alarm, do you think this could be related to some of the other stuff that happens at around this age? All perfectly normal - but perhaps he doesn't know how to cope with it or feels uncomfortable about it indoors?

Those thoughts aside, i think the coat/phone stuff is really sensible under the circumstances, and if he'll discuss it maybe talk about safe streets/well lit areas and stuff like that...

Must be really difficult >:D<<'>

L&P

BD :D

Nick has started to leave the house and go wandering without telling anyone, it usually happens at about 10pm, he comes back after an hour or so. He says he gets "funny feelings" and has to leave the house to clear his head. We have started to lock the doors, but he just jumps out of the window. He is now 14 so l dont want to have to watch him all the time and keep him locked up. I have started to say if he needs to go out to make sure he has his phone with him and to take a coat!! I know this sounds really iresponsable, but i just dont know what else to do. Has anyone else had this problem? :unsure::unsure:

I personally never did this at all, let alone in my youth. On the other hand I know of plenty of NT's who have done such a thing, so I wouldnt say it was particular to AS. There doesnt seem to be much you can do, asides let him and ensure he is as safe as possible while doing it. If he has suddenly just started doing it, you might want to check if there is something else amiss.

Maybe he just wants to be alone ? Strangly (or so I think) my son feels safest at night, when its dark and no one is likey to turn up at the house, be a known visitor or say the postman. last night I awoke at 2.45am and checked on him, he was lying awake and said to me look out the window its so lovely and dark out there and peaceful it gives me chance to think ! so maybe be its just an opportunity to be by themselves without anyone disturbing their thought time, peace etc...

Sorry probably waffling a bit off point there.

Clare x x x