Sign in to follow this  
shamu

Annual review - what to expect?

I've been told DS's annual review will take place at the end of November. What should I expect? He's at nursery so this is with a view to identifying the right school placement for him for next year....

His current statement is woefully inadequate - it has statements that are absolutely not true (such as "his receptive language skills are age appropriate" - they certainly are NOT, he understands less than his 17 month sister :crying: ) so I guess I can raise those. I haven't had an IEP for him yet, and how are they going to comment on his progress in 4 weeks???!!

Also, there is whispering that the LEA are opening three new ASD units attached to mainstream schools. How do I find out if that's true and if it is, how do I get to grips with whether that would be an appropriate setting for him? If it doesn't yet exist how on earth can I visit it and see how the staff and pupils are etc?!!!

I'm so confused...

Shamu

;)

Hi Shamu.The Annual Review is basicaly your oppurtunity to state the comments you have made very well. :thumbs::thumbs: .

If you go along with those points written down-you will probably be asked for your opinion.

The other professionals should also state how they feel your child is progressing against the IEP Targets -if they have none it is up to them to explain why :rolleyes::rolleyes: If by chance they don't mention the IEP then ask.[sorry nothing surprises me anymore. :rolleyes::rolleyes: ]

The professional should also talk about progress made compared with expectations for a child in the foundation stage.If as you say you disagree with the assessment then say so.

If this is the final Annual Review before primary school then options for primary school placement should be raised at the review.If it is not raised then ask.

We are in a similar position but re Secondary School Placement and the LEA advised us to ask for an interim meating before the next review to talk about it.So if you do not have enough information at the Review ask if another meating can be organised.

Regarding info about ASD units it would be worth talking to any other professionals Eg SALT,ASD outreach etc that are involved with your child to ask for an opinion.Other professionals often have children at local schools and may know about planned developments.

In our area Parent Partnership provide specific support to parents when children with SEN are at significant transition points including transfer to Primary School so it would be worth phoning them for advice.

If the LEA have a centralised application process for primary school then the LEA may also have advisors who can provide information.

If your child has a Statement of SEN then the LEA will have a system for consulting parents prior to naming a school on the Statement.So you could also speak to a Caseworker at the LEA and get advice.

If you want to begin to think about schools then OFSTED reports are a good first place to look.Even if the schools do not have ASD units at the current time you will be able to get a feel of the schools and of SEN provision.

The topic of school choice is common one on the forum so if you do a search there are lots of ideas re questions to ask,what to look for etc.Regards Karen.