jlp

Trick or treat advice!

Last year we went trick or treating - I regret it now and it was fraught (G getting cross if people didn't answer the door / give sweets even though I'd explained they were well within their rights) G did enjoy himself though.

This year I decided that we weren't trick or treating (not 100% comfortable with the idea of bothering people for sweets) and we'd go to a local farm for a lantern walk instead (it's a very small farm and I'm not expecting great excitement!).

All was fine until it suddenly clicked with G this morning that he wasn't trick or treating (I've bought sweets so he'll still get sweets) and he was very angry saying we went trick or treating last year and he likes to be the same.

Soooooo....do I stick with my principles and cope with the meltdown or give in and take him? Because I took him once and it's all my fault sob!

They'll probably be talking about trick or treating at school and people will probably start knocking at our house to trick or treat - both of which will make the situation even worse.

Tricky one.

I would say stick with your lantern walk plan.

Going trick or treating isn't a routine as such - routines are more about daily/weekly things.

Is there any chance he got any sweets he didn't like last year - could you say by doing it this way he gets only the sweets he likes?

Could you add anything to the lantern walk so you're out for most of the time when normal (i.e. kids not teenagers) trick or treaters come round? Could you then talk to him about how some people do spoil the fun etc and how you don't want him to get hurt with a rotten egg for instance.

Do you have a few neighbours who you trust and who know him. Maybe he could just go to these 2 or 3 people before the lantern walk (quickly of course because you don't want to be late!! :whistle:) so he still has something the same as others for school the next day but in addition he can talk about the lantern thing?

Other than that I'm not sure - sorry. But I hope you have a good night whatever happens. (we need a special ghosty emoticon here!!)

Hi I think the main issue is whether you have said you are planning to do the lantern walk -if you have then giving in under pressure will only invite a meltdown next time you try to set a boundry down. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I hope the evening is ok.Karen.

My son went out with a balacalva on and a machine gun he was dressed as a terrorist.He had a rucksack on and asked people not to look inside as he was a suicide bomber.Personally I was more worried about him being knocked down.

Anyway he got back alive at 8.30pm.Very happy ,,,yes he was completely overloaded ..yes he has had serious meltdowns from the overloads ....welcome to his chidhood and he does deserve one,,,, depite his neurotic mum...xoxoxoshars Happy Halloween

My son went out with a balacalva on and a machine gun he was dressed as a terrorist.He had a rucksack on and asked people not to look inside as he was a suicide bomber.Personally I was more worried about him being knocked down.

Good job you don't live round our way the police would stop and search him. :lol::lol::lol: Karen.