Sign in to follow this  
brooke

playschool

Not sure wheather to post on this but thought i might as well. My youngest G has started playschool 4 mornings a week. I suspect he has asd like his older brother but G hasnt been diagnosed yet due to him being at the high end of the spectrum. He has just had the ADOS test which came back fine :o so i dont feel i can hound them again. Anyway he was fine the first couple of weeks going but now he is crying and having meltdowns when i drop him off and im ending up having to go back and take him home as he wont settle. All he will say is "i dont like it" and the staff who are very good have said he is fine at song time and milk time its just in between but nothing obvious sets him off. He just seems to be going into himself iyswim. I dont know what to do, i think im at least going to drop one morning as i dont want to send him when he is obviously distressed, but i just wish i knew why he was getting so upset. I have not had this problem with my older sons so i dont know what to do for the best really. Do you think im worrying over nothing? I would be happy for him to stay at home but he will have to get used to nursey next year so i want him to at least have a bit of time away from me.

Brooke

Guest Lya of the Nox

have u stayed with him to help him settle?

when he is not upset does he seem tot he staff to be enjoying it?

does he tell you what he has been doing?

does he take a comforter with him?

if he misses you a badge with a pic of u on it may help, or a pic of you ( worked with mine who is nt but had major sep issues with me)

does he unsettle others, are staff ok with what he is doing

pm me if u want help

x

How old is your DS and how long has he been at playschool for please ?

It is very stressful when a child won't settle at playgroup or nursery but sometimes it just takes a child longer than most.

The other thought is is your yougest used to having time with you when the others are at school ?

He may feel he is missing out on ''quality time''-I don't know what you do about it but it may help to explain why he is finding it difficult.Karen.

Edited by Karen A

Thank you for the replies >:D<<'>

Lya

I have tried to stay with him but this made him worse :tearful:

When not upset the staff have said he is fine

he cant tell me what he has been doing as his speech is delayed

he has a blanket that he takes everywhere but its falling apart so i havent given it to him to take do u think i should?

He is unsettleing the other children when crying but i think the staff are ok with it xx

Karen

My son is only 2-1/2 but he has a brother who is 3-1/2 so he hasnt had much time with me on a one to one but maybe now he is getting that time it could be why.

I will have to see how he goes on monday im just in two minds as to pull him out all together or drop his mornings and persevere.

Brooke

Hi Brook,

I know it's tough when they seem so upset. My youngest is nearly 3 and has been going to nursery 5 days a week for 5 hours a day for 10 months now. My little one also has speech disorder and can not communicate. He also took a while to adjust and was very upset when I left him for several weeks, but I had to persevere. Eventually he did settle, and now he goes in very well and is happy to wave me goodbye and goes straight off to play. He does still have occasional days when he gets upset, and I do stay a little but sometimes it is just better to walk away and let the staff take over. Usually once you have gone, the quicker the child settles.

I know it doesn't help stop the feeling of guilt, but knowing that they do settle eventually does make it a little easier. I have it worse with my 7 year old who can talk, who doesn't want to go to school and says he hates me now - yet when he is in school he is said to be happy and settled and popular with other children!

Michelle

Edited by MichelleW

Hi Brooke,

Just picking up on what you said about him being fine at milk time and song time, do you think that this is because this is quite stuctured, DDs nursery used a visual aid timetable for her and it worked a treat. It was really simple how they did it, it was just a picture for playing in the home role play area, a picture for painting a picture ect ect. It may be that he is still a bit young for this but it might be worth a try.

Thanks michelle and confused mum >:D<<'>

I was wondering too about if he like the milk and song time because it was structued. Thanks for the suggestion about a timetable i didnt even think of this but my eldest has some pecs cards from when he was little so i think i will take some in with him and see how it goes. Hopefully he will settle, its just stange that he was absolutly fine for the first 2 weeks no problems at all but now he doesnt seem to want go at all :unsure:

Brooke

]

Thanks michelle and confused mum >:D<<'>

I was wondering too about if he like the milk and song time because it was structued. Thanks for the suggestion about a timetable i didnt even think of this but my eldest has some pecs cards from when he was little so i think i will take some in with him and see how it goes. Hopefully he will settle, its just stange that he was absolutly fine for the first 2 weeks no problems at all but now he doesnt seem to want go at all :unsure:

Brooke

Hi Brooke.I used to work as a lunch time supervisor in a nursery and so was around when lots of new children were settleing in.

It is not unusual for children to be fiine for a week or two and then have a bumpy patch.I think sometimes the novelty wears off and they realise perhaps it is not such a good thing. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

The fact that your DS was ok to start is more positive than if he had been unhappy from the start so it may be worth sticking with it for a few more days.Karen.

Just to update, I took him in with his blanket today which seemed to help and although when i left he was really upset i wasnt called back to pick him up :thumbs: The staff have been really good and looked after him making sure he wasnt on his own ect which i think is what has helped him, so hopefully he might be ok tomorrow too :pray:

Brooke