Sign in to follow this  
Dummie

Meltdowns - Hitting his own head

Hello

A has recently started hitting his own head with his hand during his meltdowns. Luckily these don't happen too often (maybe 2 every 3wks). Is it something I should be worried about? Has anyone else experienced this?

Usually during these episodes I find it best to ignore him. Once he's run out of steam he'll usually come to me for a cuddle. I'll cuddle him and pat him on the back and he usually falls asleep as he's so exhusted.

Dummie

My ds hits his forehead with his clenched fist. It looks really hard and should hurt but doesn't seem to. He does it quite frequently not necessarily during a meltdown - in fact usually when he's telling himself off or talking to himself. He used to bang his head on the radiator - mainly I think cos he liked the noise or the feeling. Not sure how to stop it. Perhaps I should try and give him something else to do instead at times like that. Might get one of those boxers punch bags?? Do you think you could get yours to do something else like this too? Perhaps someone else might have a better suggestion.