Sign in to follow this  
Mumble

Makaton / BSL

(Apologies in advance if any of these questions are really simple . . . :rolleyes:)

Some of the work I'm doing at the moment involves some kids who use Makaton and some who use BSL (though they generally have sign-language interpreters with them).

I learnt some Makaton when I was working in a nursery environment with a number of kids with language/communication issues - but this was very basic - things that would come up in nursery - please, thank-you, my name is..., animal names, etc.

The kids I'm now working with cover the primary range to the age of 11 and the full curriculum, so obviously the vocabulary demands are different. Does Makaton cover this wide range? How different is Makaton from BSL? If I wanted to learn some more am I best learning some Makaton, some BSL, or both? What is the best way to go about learning these - I've looked on the internet but I couldn't find any good sites with lots of illustrations of words.

And if someone could help me with one thing that will really help me in the short-term - how do you sign numbers (greater than 10)?

Hi mumble, think you are better off using the website www.britishsignlanguage.com the only makaton ones i could find have to be paid for but the bbc website has an article about it if you want to have a nosey! Good luck

loobylou2

We use Makaton with To mto help him with his communication and understanding. It actually goes right up to signs suitable for adultsa, eg how to sign about voting in an election.

Hi Mumble - Makaton and BSL are completely different - when I did my Makaton training course (which I can hardly remember because it didn't work with Logan!) they told us that they were different. The sentences are formed differently and the signs are mostly all different too.

I'm not sure how you'd go about learning them but there are a few websites for Makaton. I'd have offered to send you my Makaton manuals but I already gave them to a friend.

Lynne

Thanks everyone :)

makaton is used as a support for language

whereas bsl is a language in its own right

This is useful - I think this is where my understanding was lacking. I'll have a think further about what I do, but thanks for the links.