pearl

Transition to Adulthood

Well, our family is now part of a local transition project!

Thanks to an OGB who posts on here (you know who you are) I was put in touch with a guy who is doing a transition project in our area. He spent 2 hours interviewing us all tonight. And wrote down some of our bon mots to use anonymously on his webbysite. B)

I have absolutely no idea what (if anything) will happen now, but I figure if you knock on enough doors, maybe not all of them will get slammed in your face.

I hope you got some sleep, pearl.

take care and you may feel a bit better today after getting rid of some of that stuff.

Nic

Thanks Nic >:D<<'>

Twas after 3am before I got to sleep, but no matter as mr pearl & I were off work today. Think I'll email Transition Guy with some feedback. Wish there was more on offer. Was hoping he could point us in the direction of a buddy/mentor/whatever for JP, but no. :(

I've been pushing for this meeting since July, so feel a bit underwhelmed now.

Was hoping he could point us in the direction of a buddy/mentor/whatever for JP, but no. :(

That's because they're like unicorns. Everyone knows their names and what they're supposed to be, but no one has actually seen a real life one. I've just had another avenue that the uni was trying as a mentor/buddy for me come up as a negative, so I'm swiftly coming to the conclusion they exist only in name - but I'll keep trying :)

That's because they're like unicorns. Everyone knows their names and what they're supposed to be, but no one has actually seen a real life one. I've just had another avenue that the uni was trying as a mentor/buddy for me come up as a negative, so I'm swiftly coming to the conclusion they exist only in name - but I'll keep trying :)

Oooh, spooooky ... read the positive thread! :o

Oooh, spooooky ... read the positive thread! :o

Not a real one - my analogy still holds. :)

If you do happen to track down the elusive mentor/buddy please let me know which forest you found them in and I'll go out and capture a few for myself :lol: OGBs are few and far between in themselves :lol:

I had a bit of a "lightbulb moment" during the interview. Been thinking about it all day.

TG asked me had I ever had a Carers Assessment for myself.

After I'd rolled around on the floor laughing for a while, I explained that I'd never realised I was JP's carer, but that since starting to look after Mum (which he didnt know about) I had indeed asked for said assessment, & had been fobbed off.

Then I felt like a wuss, cos I NEVER allow myself to be fobbed off ... *lightbulb moment* when its for JP or Mum.

So if its about me, I feel guilty & dont push it.

Well, things are going to change. It is now on my List. :star:

Mumble and Pearl...

have both tried the national autistics' buddy service?

http://www.nas.org.uk/nas/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=344

Not sure if it's exactly what is wanted though.

Thanks TuX - I'll look into it, but it was through the NAS (well, one of their partners) that I had the appalling mentoring experience that really set me back a long way. I think the NAS befriending is what DMB (on this forum) has trained for - and I seem to remember him saying something about long waiting lists - but I may be wrong.

Thanks, TuX, but it doesnt operate in our area :(

That's a shame - maybe they've just had no requests, but it could start?

I've printed out the details to take to a support meeting I have on Wednesday.

Thanks TuX - I'll look into it, but it was through the NAS (well, one of their partners) that I had the appalling mentoring experience that really set me back a long way. I think the NAS befriending is what DMB (on this forum) has trained for - and I seem to remember him saying something about long waiting lists - but I may be wrong.

Mumble,

Can see it being the sort of thing having long waiting lists [anything worthwhile and useful always has long waiting lists] but could be worth a try even just to find out how long waiting list is in the area.

There are some good staff in the NAS,as am know two of the lady staff who work at NAS' Anglo house,they're really nice-don't let the nasty ones put off the good ones!

Thanks, TuX, but it doesnt operate in our area

That doesn't sound fair-what does having the NAS HQs in specific areas have to do with not having volunteers in other areas-when they are not going to be needing to use the HQ anyway?

If it would help to backup what are saying to the NAS,what about starting a petition?

Edited by TuX

Pearl, I hope you're feeling a bit better now. Deliberately going back over past painful stuff does take its toll.

I hope something more positive comes of your involvement with this transition project - keep us posted.

K x

Thanks all, espesh TuX for some good ideas :notworthy:

First off, I am going to email TG today with some feedback - twas all left up in the air, so to speak, & would like to know what (if anything) happens next. We are perfectly happy to be of use to him in his transition project, but hey, the benefit should be mutual.

Its looking at the mo like things usually are for us - we are 10 years too soon! If everything happens that he is planning for it will be Shangri La round here - but not yet :(