Sign in to follow this  
kellyanne

advice please

hello, >:D<<'>

I'm sorry to ask again for advice. i'm just really :unsure:

My little ds has been having so so many probs at school, he's only 5!! He has been excluded twice last monday and this monday because he is being violent swearing spiting breaking things etc etc. :tearful:

The school have recognised that H has a problem and have brought in outside help from Educational support team and this happens every week on a friday morning, to try and help him understand his feelings. He does get a lot of abuse fro J as J see's H as his venting point!!

Because of last monday the school have decided to refer H to the Behavioural Support Team, and they came to see him on thursday last week. They have said that he is now a top priority and if they get a child off sick they will come in at drop of hat :tearful: There is a waiting list and Shortie has gone right to the top!!! they also asked if there any school trips coming up and there was, today, the BST very strongly advised that the school don't take him as he is too much of a risk due to being so unpreditable.............. With this the school said they were taking him as they have an inclusion policy, Fair enough!!. So it was decided that H went today on the condition that I had to be on stand by. Anyhow it turns out I couldn't do stand by today as last night some ******* crashed into my car and it is undrive able. Anyway H has had a fabby day I know this because I've had regular phone calls from the school to say so, and now he is on his way back to school. The school said this would happen as They say H wants evrything on his own terms and because he wants to do it rather than be asked to do it, IYSWIM.

Back to my point, sorry, yesterday I had to go into school and fill out, with the teacher and the senco, a form called The Childrens Communication Checklist. I asked the SENCO in one of our many many meeting what her thoughts were and she said that she is torn between behaviuor and spectrum. I know that teachers acn't give a defo dx and to be honest I wouldn't want them to, but this is just her opinion. Throughout this Q sheet it didn't seem they had anything nice to say about Shortie and this has just sort of upset me. The SENCO kept repeating the phrases Shortie uses and I know what he's been saying these and I don't want to keep hearing it, it's too upsetting.

Looking at the form we filled in yesterday, some of the questions reminded me of a few of the social questions we had to answer at J's appt for his dx.

Do any of you know about this form or come across it before and if so could you please shed some light on it as I'm not entirely convinced the SENCO knows what it's for and it doesn't help when she says 'I don't know where these q's are leading'.

I'm so so sorry to be a pain and moan a loty just having a bad time trying toy get my haed around thngs

thanx alot everyone

KA x x x x

Looks like i'm still trying to get my head around spellings aswell :lol:

Edited by kellyanne

Hi KA.

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> Hoping some hugs help cheer you up. Its a horrible situation to be in. Im sorry i have no other advise... my brain is complete mush at the moment, but i hope someone will be along soon with some real advice. i just wanted to let you know you are not alone in the way you feel.

>:D<<'>

shaz

Guest Lya of the Nox

the bit you need to remember in all of this, is that for a diagnosis or for dla we have to look at our child in all negative, as a professional working with kids you are finding that hard, i did too, cos we are taught only to make not of good, and to praise the good

once you have done it remind yourself how wonderful your child is and remember that this will get the help you both need and deserve >:D<<'>

dont worry bout moaning lots you will never beat me lol

:whistle:

dont worry bout moaning lots you will never beat me lol

:whistle:

hi guys thanx for your hugs they do help

Pingu I've read your posts and I'm sorry things are so c**p for you at the moment

Lya I bet i can't beat you but i can have a jolly good go :lol:

Hi Kellyanne.I had not come across the Children's Communication Checklist however I have done a quick web search and there is some info around if you want to look it up.It looks like a basic screening tool to help identify children and adolescents who can speak in sentences but who may have communication difficulties -including ASD but other communication difficulties too.

It is designed to be completed by a parent or a professional such as the SENCO to help decide whether a further assessment is needed.

If the SENCO has completed the form and you do not feel that the answers give an accurate reflection of your child then it is worth speaking to who ever will be responsible for deciding what to do next.

It is really hard not to feel negative when completing forms that are designed to pick up difficulties. >:D<<'> >:D<<'> However it is good that the school are asking for support.I know it probably does not feel like that at the momment though. >:D<<'> Karen.

hi karen

It was 3 of us that filled it out, myself, the senco and his class teacher and we did come to agreements on each of the q's, but there was one that I did argue about to them. It was 'does the child smile appropriately when talking to people, the school said 0=less than once a week/never and i said 2= once or twice a day, so it was compromised to a 1= atleast once a week but not everyday.

I am really pleased that the school are doing something this early, as J's old school did'nt do anything and it was only when we got to his new one in April this year and J was more than half way thro yr 3 that the help has been coming. :thumbs:

The school said this would happen as They say H wants evrything on his own terms and because he wants to do it rather than be asked to do it, IYSWIM.

sounds a lot like my eldest who has PDA!!!! he was originally given EBD diagnosis as although he showed some ASD traits they could not firm diagnosis to aspergers or similar.

When he was assessed at the xxxxxxx they completed this checklist (we filled in questionnaire) and it has some different categories and if you score lower than specific amount in specific areas and then some other scores meet certain criteria it can indicate a pervasive development disorder. I have a report with some details in about the scoring areas (can PM you if you want me to tell you what they wrote about him) but have not completed scoring myself so cannot be more help

From what I remember the questions were things like "does he understand things like"he bit my head off" or things like how does he explain things to others??? which when you think about it all are things which someone with ASD or communication disorder find difficult to do. I would say that a speech and language therapist would do this kind of assessment not school (can school not get advice from speech and language, or make referral??)

Edited to remove the name of specific centre in line with Forum rules.Karen.

Edited by Karen A

(can PM you if you want me to tell you what they wrote about him)

hi westie,

If you wouldn't mind, yes, please pm me any help is better than none at all

thank you

pm'd you hope it helps!

Debbie