Sign in to follow this  
Lynden

More Questions re Statementing...

Should the amount of therapy he gets be quantified in the statement? ie Logans says he should get input from SALT/OT etc but doesn't say how much, frequency, time etc..

Lynne x

HI

Yes SaLT should be quantified within your child's statement, my son like your child is non-verbal, we didn't have SaLT quantified then one day we got a letter telling us due to cut backs in the PCT our son would not receive any more SaLT for the forceible future. We tried to fight this with our LA and was told that because SaLT wasn't quantified the LA didn't have to provide it! whereas if it had of been quantified (IN PART3) and the PCT couldn't provide SaLT then the LA has a legal obligation to provide it. Hope that makes sense!

This link it might explain it better! http://www.ipsea.org.uk/caselaw.htm#LancashireJudgement

We now have an independent speech therapist seeing DS weekly at our own expense! i was told by the NHS Speech Therapist they would only see my son once a half term, I believe the NHS Therapist wanted me to give up on my son and that is why they won't offer us more therapy, they don't believe he's "treatable enough" i was told by one therapist!! - but now we've been seeing an independent SaLT he's making a lot of progress!

I'm actually taking my LA to Tribunal over SaLT (5th FEB) :unsure: as i want them to pay for an independent therapist, or change his statement to the recommendations of the independent therapist!

I've also won my case with the LGO ( local government ombudsman) as i complained that our LA wasn't quantifying SaLT provision - the LGO found my LA to be at aministrative fault!!

Hope some of that was helpful! (sorry about the rant at the end!!!)

Thanks for that - very helpful. It just confirms what I thought. I'm going to see if I can see the Parent Partnership in the next couple days to go through it because it doesn't really specify what he needs. It does clearly identify the type of school he should be in (basically describes where he is now which we love) but I'm aware that he might not always be there so want to get things right from the start.

Lynne x

Hi Lynden.You are right to work to get SALT quantified in the Statement.It really is worth the effort of getting everything described and quantified as professionals,schools and LEA's have so many tricks for trying to wriggle out of providing things. :wallbash::wallbash:

It is a lot harder to get the Statement changed later if something is unclear than it is to get it included and detailed in the first place.

We have to battle because OT is attempting to discharge Ben.But it is easier because she knows that we know OT is documented in the Statement and we will chalenge any action to discharge him.

With regards to the school you are also right.Even in the same school it can only take the HT to move on and things can change. :rolleyes::rolleyes: Karen.