Sign in to follow this  
Tally

Mr Cat's Annual Check Up

Mr Cat went for his vaccinations today.

The vet agrees that he does seem almost completely deaf, but that is could be a god thing in a at as nervy as him, and there really is nothing you can do anyway.

She gave him a bit of a poke and said he did seem to have some joint pain. She found very little muscle tone in his back legs. This has happened because of lack of use, as a result of the joint pain. There are painkillers for arthritic pain, but you can't give them where there is a kidney or liver problem. She found that one kidney is larger than the other. His mother died from cancer on her kidney, I don't know if these things may be genetic in cats.

Whether I go ahead with the pain killers or not, he has had a blood test to test his kidney function. I should get the results in a few hours, but I may miss the call as I am a night shift worker, and I need to sleep at some point!

So . . . a bit of a worry.

While I was waiting, a woman came in carrying a little ginger cat in her arms. I thought that was a bit odd, but then she said she'd found it in a cardboard box on the M5! She couldn't look after it and didn't know what to do with it, so she took it into the vet. The nurse came out and took the cat and said it did feel very cold. She went off to give it some food and came back to say it was so hungry it early bit her hand off! While Mr Cat was having his blood test, the receptionist said it was curled up on a heat pad. It was a lovely looking cat, obviously has been looked after and fed before it was dumped. I can't understand why someone who would look after a cat would suddenly dump it.

Woohoo, good news :)

His liver is fine.

The kidney test is a little outside the normal parameters, but there are many reasons why that might be the case, and she doesn't think it necessary to re-test for 6 months.

So tomorrow he can start on his painkillers, and we'll see if that will get the old git moving!

He let them shave his neck and then protested violently about the needle, so they then had to shave his leg in order to get the sample. So he is covered in bald patches and iodine. I am leaving him to sulk at the moment, but I am going to have to wash him if he won't do it himself soon.

You're sure he's not going to die Tally? There does seem be an awful lot of dead pets around here at the moment :whistle:

Well, he is definitely going to die AT SOME POINT, but it does appear that the point is not imminent :)

He seems surprisingly OK actually. Every year he seems a little less traumatised by his visit to the vet, and it's a good marker to measure his progress by. This is the first year he hasn't staged a dirty protest in the car on the way home.

This is the first year he hasn't staged a dirty protest in the car on the way home.

Always a plus point :lol:

You're sure he's not going to die Tally? There does seem be an awful lot of dead pets around here at the moment :whistle:

You are naughty......... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

How old is Mr Cat? He seems to be quite well for an aging cat!!

People who dump pets should never have them in the first place. :angry: It's not hard to find a home or a shelter in case of an emergency.

Curra

He is 15, so pretty old really. All his organs seem fine, it's just the joint problem. He looks a lot better today now he has had a good wash. The bald patches don't really show because of his long hair. I would think he is beautiful anyway though!

I am going to pick up his tablets now, and ask about the foundling. If he is not elderly or ill, I may be able to take him on. I would love to take him on regardless, but I do have an elderly cat who is likely to pick up more and more expensive vets bills as time goes on, and another cat. Mr Cat requires daily grooming and occasional washing, and Mitzi needs 1:1 time every day as well. I do have to put my own cats first. He was looking at me while the lady was waiting. I wanted to get up and stroke him, but I didn't because I assumed he was her pet. He was really calm and sweet. Neither of my cats would have allowed a stranger to hold them like that.

Glad to hear Mr Cat is doing well for his age.

W would love to take on a cat when all the Christmas fuss is over. I think your little foundling is a bit far away from us though!

K x

The vet said to trial the medicine for 10 days, but I have to give him 4ml a day, and I only have 15ml, so that is only 3 doses!

Also, it was �16, and I can't afford that long term, so it seems a bit mean to even try it.

Ultimately, this means that he will die sooner, which makes e feel like I am letting him down,

Edited by Tally

Vet bills are very expensive!! If you receive housing benefit you can get free vet assistance at PDSA. They are also slightly less expensive than other vet clinics even if you don't qualify . There may be a clinic in your area.

My eldest cat (13) is also suffering from arthritis, she can't jump and her legs are looking a bit crooked but she has improved a lot with Glucosamine, ( mixed with milk, it has no flavour so there's no struggle). Although this medication is for humans it can be given to cats in a very small dose. You could ask your vet if it's safe for Mr Cat since he has kidney problems.

You are not letting him down, you're doing all you can for him. Unfortunately our pets can't live longer lives. I had a cat who lived 17 years and in the end his kidney failure was so bad that he couldn't eat anymore and as he couldn't be given medications I had to let him go.:tearful:

I hope Mr Cat gets well soon!

Curra xx

The vet did recommend Glucosamine, so I am going to try it. He is taking Cod Liver Oil at the moment (he says it is very tasty), but it does not seem to be making a difference.

He has lost 600g since last year. As he is fairly thin already, I think I would notice that kind of weight loss. It is probably all muscle wastage.

Even though he is in some discomfort, he is a happy old soul. He lived with abuse for 10 years and was extremely nervous when he came to me. It just seems sad that as soon as he has conquered the worst of his fears, he has to start declining. But I am going to keep him going as long as I can, and let him go when it feels right.