Sign in to follow this  
Mumble

'Normal' vision?

I've been trying to explain, and failing miserably to do so, the effect that my tinted glasses have, particularly in seeing in 3D - before, my only experience of 3D was at the IMAX cinema with the special 3D glasses and with those "Magic Eye" pictures; everything else was 'flat'. And it's here that I think I've found a way of explaining, but I wanted to check whether this is 'normal'.

I remember when magic eye pictures first came out as a huge craze - I thought they were great but I remember others saying I was 'seriously wierd' because with them I would just turn the pages and see them automatically in 3D - I neved had to do the 'defocussing your eyes and moving it away from your nose thing' - but I never saw them in 2D :wacko:

Now I was recently emailed an image that I was told was a magic eye image. I assumed they were mistaken because it just looked like a flat picture to me. Then I realised that I had my tinted lenses on - when I took them off it was instantly 3D - with them on - not a hope!

So my question is this - take This Image of balls and marbles. With my glasses it is totally flat - much as I would see a collection of balls/marbles hung up without my glasses on - i.e. how I've always seen the world. But, without my glasses I see these balls/marbles in 3D all separate from, rather than on top of, each other, i.e. how I can now see the world with my glasses[/i]. Is the way people with 'normal' vision/visual processing see a magic eye image (onece de-focussed and moved away from their nose!! :rolleyes:) how they normally see the world? Does this work as an explantion of the differences between seeing in 2D and 3D or not? And if not, how else can I explain the difference/benefit, because I'm getting seriously annoyed with the stupid idiotic comments from people who haven't a clue. :(

With glasses you have difficulty in stopping your visual system from fusing the images

Without glasses you don't fuse the images and there is a breakdown in stereo vision of a complex type.

It will probably be difficult for those with normal fusion to understand your post - it is extremely dificult to defuse images without some significant stress on the visual system. If people can see the depth easily - then their visual system needs attention!

The effect of visual fusion problems of this type really has an effect on lives - from visio spatial awareness, body coordination and sensory difficulties. This type of problem is unlikely to be found in a eye test.

PS we have had fun defusing the image and have all got headaches!

It will probably be difficult for those with normal fusion to understand your post

So that didn't get me any closer to explaining this . . .

PS we have had fun defusing the image and have all got headaches!

:oops: Sorry! I can recommend blue kryptonite lenses for headaches . . . :whistle:

Mumble I have exactly the same experience.

Aha! So I'm not the only totally insane one around here :wacko::lol: So how do you explain it to others? (or have you reached the Vicky Pollard stage I'm rapidly reaching of "whatever" to any comments!!!)

Best explanation I can give - its the difference between seeing a picture - when distance is perceived through tricks - not binocular fusion.

real fusion uses clues too, but mapping of information is three dimensional in neurological systems ie time as well as space

So how do you explain it to others? (or have you reached the Vicky Pollard stage I'm rapidly reaching of "whatever" to any comments!!!)

I don't explain anything to others! TBH I've never had an comments or queries and so never been faced with the questions or how to answer them. Could be one of two reasons; either everyone around me is as mad as I am, or everyone around me has already accepted that I'm mad and don't really notice anymore :D Either way I don't really notice!

As far as the 3d/2d thing goes, I didn't realise I was any different; it's not something we covered when I saw Ian, and I thought it wasn't a problem with me... :rolleyes:

Floz :D