Sign in to follow this  
taggingalong

hi everyone

hi everyone sorry i havent posted in a while. i was wondering if anybody could give me some advice. i was awarded high rate care of dla for my 8 year old son. i know there is a premium for tax credits and i also know that there is the carers allowance available as well. can you apply for the two of them or is it one or the other. any advice would be greatful. i have been told you can only apply for one of them and some people said that you can apply for the two of them. wee bit lost here. :rolleyes:

Yes you can apply for Carers allowance and the disability premium on tax credits. Carers allowance is means tested so you wouldn't be able to earn more than a limited amount before it's taken away but give your local benefits office a call and ask them for the forms, and let tax credits know ASAP.

* this thread will probably be moved to another part of the forum, just to warn you :)

thanks for that mandy. i rang tax credits this morning so thats that bit done.

No problem :D

also with the carers allowance it is classed as an income

so would have to let tax credits know when you get carers

Best to give the tax credit people a ring and ask. I suspect it isn't classed as income but it's best to make sure rather than face a bill for overpayments.

The carers allowance is only available to people who earn less than a threshold of (I think) around �87 a week.

If you have just been awarded higher rate care your first payment will be backdated to when you first applied so it's a nice windfall!

Simon

thanks for all your replys. i dont work at the minute as i am a single parent with four young children. so i will be checking out tomorrow with tax credits etc. thanks for all your help once again.

Hi, just to let you know that carers allowance payments do count as income for tax credit purposes (know because my hubby claimed this while he was a carer for my son and he had to get a letter from carers allowance place to send to tax credits as first year was not a full year he was paid it. Contribution based job seekers allowance and some other benefits are also classed as "taxable benefits" for tax credit purposes....

However I understand that if your child is awarded highest rate carers allowance you get more tax credit - I imagine you were told this when you informed tax credit line...

If you aren't working then you will be entitled to a small amount of Income Support too, it's not a great deal but it means that you can get free prescriptions and other little extras which make a big difference :)

Hi, just to let you know that carers allowance payments do count as income for tax credit purposes (know because my hubby claimed this while he was a carer for my son and he had to get a letter from carers allowance place to send to tax credits as first year was not a full year he was paid it. Contribution based job seekers allowance and some other benefits are also classed as "taxable benefits" for tax credit purposes....

However I understand that if your child is awarded highest rate carers allowance you get more tax credit - I imagine you were told this when you informed tax credit line...

What I meant is you get more tax credit if you are paid the highest level for care component of DLA, hope I have not confused anyone (other than myself!)