Sign in to follow this  
bluefish

swaddle????

Hi, E has always gone to bed very well(as long as routine the same and same things are said in the same order) but recently he is refusing to go to bed. about a month ago he was poorly and I tucked him up in my bed with a dvd as it was only 6pm and it was cold and he had asked to go up.. BIG mistake ! now he wants to go to my bed EVERY night and watch dvd then sleep in there. I admit I have been lazy and not wanted the tantrums so have let him! I do not sleep well with him in with me and want to get him back in routine. Last night I insisted he sleep in his bed but I ended up in with him too! A tight squeeze! But he slept till.......7am!!!! I wondered if as we were so squashed maybe he felt safe? I thought today what if I swaddle him at bedtime maybe he would sleep better???? just wondered? He likes to be squeezed tight when cuddled and hates light touch. what do you think

Sorry no advice my dd loves tight cuddles but kicks covers off at night.She would love to sleep in my bed but i cant bear the covers being kicked off or her restlessness when she is in my bed.I have a very heavy warm quilt and lovely soft sheets so i got my dd lovely soft sheets which she prefers as well.

good luck

nic

Hi, my son rolls himself tightly in his duvet......and has a couple of fleece blankets to use aswell as they are good if its a warm night instead of using the duvet.He,s always been like that and he likes to cover his face also, when he was a toddler he had a sleepy sheet which he had on his face, now its a corner of the duvet or blanket, but always the same face covered up :ph34r: .

Weighted blankets are great but expensive. If you could get lots of old style blankets, rather than a duvet, and tuck them in tightly, that might do the trick :)

We are thinking of getting a weighted blanket for C as well, he just loves to be squashed :rolleyes: , but really overheats at night.

Just wondering if it's a company thing as well? C has, unlike your boy, never been a good sleeper.

He refuses to sleep in his own room and has done since he was 5. Fortunately his little brother has a big bedroom and is happy to share. We also have a single bed in our room for C when he needs to be with us. We discourage him from using it during the week, but at weekends when he's off the melatonin, he usually comes through at some unGodly hour so that he's not alone while his brother is sleeping. He hates being alone because, as he puts it, thoughts happen. He also says he hears noises in his head, like drums, when he's trying to sleep.

He watches a DVD before he falls asleep every night. It's not something I approve of in general terms, but it works for C because it helps to keep the "thoughts" and the "noises" at bay while he's getting to sleep. So long as it's not a new DVD, that's just too stimulating.

When we were at the BIBIC clinic earlier this week for ds assessments one of the things they did was to wrap him in a duvet The called it a sausage roll. Then we smoothed him on top and massaged him etc. It was incredible because this all happened in a play room where he had been running around and getting hyper and then instantly he was calm and relaxed. I am going to try it before bedtime maybe downstairs before he goes to bed just to get him relaxed for bed. Seems to be the same sort of thing most of you are doing with duvets and blankets but I just wanted to say how the reaction was instant and prolonged - he was happy to stay in the duvet for ages.

I do a similar thing with C at bedtime... don't know why, had never really thought about it, it's one of these things that just develop. At bedtime, while I'm tucking him in, I wrap him in his duvet, then lie on top of him :unsure: . He loves it! He calls it "the bumps" and asks me every night to do it.

Another one he likes is to lie underneath the cushions on the sofa and get the twinkles to sit on him - this one can go on for ages, and they are found watching TV like this quite often.

I used to be terrible at kicking sheets off. Now I sleep with a double douvet and have it tucked under the bottom of the bed it is wedge pretty well so doesn't come out easily. What worked best when I was younger though was somewhere I picked up two sheets that had been stiched together. This meant it could go right round the matress and was no was it could come untucked. Perhaps something similar could be added onto a douvet. If it was a tight fit I guess it should apply a fair bit of pressure.