Sign in to follow this  
Ian Jordan

Visual problems in ASD

I am giving two talks / demonstrations for Derbyshire Parent Partnership on Tues 8th March, one for parents, the other for professionals on visual perceptual problems. These are common in ASD.

I am pleased to say that there is no charge but you do have to book a place.

News from Derbyshire County Council

This story published on 14 February 2005

Learning difficulties expert shares new ideas

Does your child have dyslexia, dyspraxia, autism or Aspergers?

Parents and carers are invited to a free information morning hosted by Derbyshire Parent Partnership to find out more about new developments in the treatments of these difficulties.

Expert Ian Jordan will be talking to parents about how he believes these conditions can be recognised and assessed and new methods of treatment he is currently developing.

Many people may have seen Ian on the BBC TV documentary ?My Family and Autism? where he prescribed coloured lenses to two of the children in the Jackson family.

Ian will show how vision affects all of the senses and will demonstrate how particular difficulties can be improved using light and colour.

Parents will be able to see for themselves how colour filtering can reduce some of the effects of these kind of difficulties.

Ian initially trained as an optician and has now become a recognised authority in treating difficulties found in dyslexia, dyspraxia and autism.

The information morning takes place on Tuesday 8 March between 10am and noon at the Friends Meeting House in Ashgate Road, Chesterfield

The parent partnership service is an impartial service funded by Derbyshire County Council that offers advice to parents and carers of children with special educational needs. It aims to encourage partnership between parents and carers and all those involved with children with special educational needs in Derbyshire.

Derbyshire County Council cabinet member for education Councillor Alan Charles said: "This is set to be a very interesting talk and it will give parents and carers a chance to find out more about their children?s learning difficulties and possible ways to help them.

�The parent partnership service aim to support parents and carers and enable them to fully support their child and make sure that they receive the best possible education.

�I am sure there will be a lot of interest in this event so people should book early to get a place.�

To find out more or book a place people should call Parent Partnership on 01246 273154.

Ian,

My asperger daughter has had an occupational therapy appointment today and she was assessed to be on the 10th centile for visual perception (I think that's what she said it was). I don't have her report with recommendations yet so not sure how we can help my daughter overcome her problems. Is this something that could be helped by wearing coloured lenses?

Lisa

I live too far away but this sounds really interesting :)

I "only" have the coloured lenses but even that has made lots of difference (I am hyposensitive to blue/hypersensitive to yellow so headlights and streetlights are very difficult), but from what I've gathered you do a much more thorough examination. Having read from a very early age on, I had not thought it would make a difference to my reading but astonishingly enough, it did!

hard to tell, most asd children have treatable visual perceptual problems though.

send me an email @ ianjordan@visualdyslexia.com and i will send an e book that will give you some guidance

best wishes

ian