Sign in to follow this  
onlycrazygal

dont know what to think ??

hi all ,

sorry its been so long, its been three yrs now since C was in school, its disgusting the amount of

professionals that have been in and out of my home trying to persuade/ pressure him to go to school like a good boy!!!

course ive been their in the background trying to tell them their strategy was so very off the mark. They dont want to hear it as it interferes with there theory of fabrication no doubt :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

But hey who am i to tell them, after all the state is a better parent than i am or so they keep saying.....sick an tired of the intervention and the negative impact they have on our lives...

ITS A FARCE!!!!! :rolleyes::tearful:

But guess who has been ordered by the courts to do a second updated report, attending our home for the second time ?? Bring it on amigo!!!!--- :angry::star: lol

Think he may be slightly prejudice as the G cough C are on his case.

Question : Finally bypassed certain authorities and now C is having Speech & Language Assess, the thing is the sp& lan have said, that usually a full sp & lan assessment is done in one 45 min session, then they invite you back for next session to advise you as to what if anything was in their findings, if there is a problem they send you home with instructions on how best you may manage with your child. ...IM APPALLED is this common practice ? Isnt their a set num of tests they must conduct or a set time they must spend on a child ? Surely there must be...

My fear is that this shortened version of a sp&lan assessment is down to money, thing is they may miss C s difficulties /complexities / subtleties etc.

If that happens :o:(

Thanks for letting me waffle :huh:

OCG xxxxxxx

Hi, OCG -

I've taken a paragraph out of your post because the content was slanderous... While you've taken cares to hide express details in this post, many of the details of your case are public knowledge, and in that respect the individual concerned could be recognised.

Not sure on S&LP, but i think it varies from place to place... 45 mins for an initial assessment doesn't seem unreasonable.

Hope the updated report goes well.

L&P

BD (for an etc etc)...

Edited by baddad

Agree that 45 mins is not unreasonable for an initial assessment. Depends what the form of the assessment is but if a child is having to do actual tests or assessments rather than just be observed I think most children will have had enough by 45 mins. I sat in on a fairly indepth SALT assessment of my son when he was 5 which lasted about 40 mins and covered various aspects of his language development.

Lx

I think it would be more constructive to approach this S&L assessment with a less negative attitude...you seem to be second-guessing what the SALT will be doing??

Why don't you contact the SALT and establish exactly what will be done during this initial appointment before getting too upset.

Bid :)

Hi OCG

Like the others said, SALT assessments don't take that long. If a child is functioning on an average or above average cognitive level they can be conducted in an hour or less and still illustrate any difficulties. I had Bill assessed last week by an independent SALT and it took little over an hour. She identified lots of communication difficulties and other things.

I would think that if your ds has any SALT difficulties they will certainly be indentified in the time scale given... if she feels he has more complex difficulties and needs a bit longer I'm certain you will be given a further assessment appointment or she will likely run over the over 45 mins (they do this all the time, why else are we often left sitting in waiting rooms for time and eternity!!)

Hope this helps.

Flora X