Tally

Have to phone electrician

I have to phone an electrician TODAY.

I've been putting it off, but I have 2 weeks off work starting Sunday, and I need them to come while I am not working. I only have one light in my bathroom now and it's pretty useless anyway. They are not even proper bathroom lights, and they keep falling out of the ceiling. I need to get it done because my dad is coming to stay soon.

I phoned some electricians yesterday and left answerphone messages, but none of them rang back.

I did ring one. He said he'd try to come this morning to do a quote, but he hasn't.

Another is going to get back to me.

:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

We have recently found an odd job man who is a little treasure, he has just finished his 3rd job for us & I book him in for the next thing before I unlock the front door & allow him to escape. We've got more work done in the last 6 months than in the previous 5 years. And if something is beyond his scope, he can recommend someone else.

I'd really like to keep him in a cupboard, to be used when needed.

Oh god they're like London Buses!

He did turn up at 1pm, which is distinctly NOT morning as far as I am aware, but he seems to think it'll cost �40 including parts, and kept saying, "it's not the world to do it," so that's good!

And then the other two rang back!

I've got one coming for a quote tomorrow. I wouldn't have bothered with quotes if I'd realised how small a job it would be. I think I'll just ask the one tomorrow to come back and do it while he's here, save making another phone call. Unless his quote is silly.

Will your odd job man fit in an envelope, Pearl!?!

#2 electrician was going to phone back Monday with the quote, so I planned to book him in when he rang. But now it's Wednesday and he hasn't.

I rung back electrician #1 this morning, but he was already out and his wife said she'd ask him to ring, but he hasn't.

Also left answerphone messages with two more electricians (now I know what it is I need, I can just book it over the phone), but no reply from them yet either.

First person to call gets the job, but no one is calling :tearful:

It will be too late for them to do it this week now, I expect, so hopefully they can do it next week. After that I am back at work, and it will be awkward.

Why does everything have to be so complicated?

Tis one of the great mysteries of life, Tally. Since we ripped our carpets up, we have noticed a metal plate thingy on the floorboards on the landing. It gets really really hot. I dont know what it is. The race is now on to get my plumber to check it out before the new carpet goes down. He reckons its a manifold (que?) :unsure:

Edited by pearl

When I rang them last week they all said they could easily do it this week, but that's not going to happen now.

I was supposed to get my carpet laid this week as well, but I can't even find a carpet fitter, let alone get around to ringing them.

No idea what a manifold is!

According to Wiki:

A manifold is an abstract mathematical space in which every point has a neighborhood which resembles Euclidean space, but in which the global structure may be more complicated. In discussing manifolds, the idea of dimension is important. For example, lines are one-dimensional, and planes two-dimension.

So thats that explained. :lol:

I have now rung every electrician in the phone book and the local newspaper (well, only the ones in my town), and that is TEN electricians.

Two have actually been. One gave me a quote on the spot and I said I'd ring him. I rang on Monday and Wednesday and left answerphone messages, but he has not called back. One said he'd ring back on Monday with a quote, and that he could easily fit it in this week. He never rung on Monday so I left an answerphone message on Wednesday, but he STILL hasn't got back to me. I don't understand why they would waste their time coming here if they didn't need the work.

One is coming this afternoon. I will try and book him in for next week while he is here, but I tried to do that with the 2nd one who came, and he said he would ring me.

Another said he would try to pop round next week.

Two didn't answer and did not have answerphones.

I have left answerphone messages with the remaining five, and they have not got back to me.

I don't understand why it is so hard to get new lights, and why you have to make phone calls all week long and still get no closer to actually having new lights. This is extremely frustrating. I have two weeks off work and assumed it would be fairly easy, but it just seems to take forever.

All my work holiday for the next year is for actually going away, so I am not going to be able to get my carpet fitted for a year now, if this is how difficult it is.

:crying::wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

When one finally turns up Tally, hold him hostage. Tell him you are a desperate woman & he's not leaving till he's done the job :lol:

It amazes me too. They have a living to earn, why can't they go about it more efficiently?

My bedroom furniture guy turned up :thumbs:

And captivated JP with his expensive 3D software which produced a model of our bedroom.

But I'm expecting he'll want squillions of pounds to do the job :tearful:

If anyone knows any roofers, who actually turn up, or offer a quote and then actually carry out the work, or send a quote which is actually relevant to your roof and not someone elses, or answer their phones, or return your calls, please let me know, I'll even offer to have their babies.....we are on our 10th attempt at the mo to get a quote and work done for a new skylight.....

:fight:

If anyone knows any roofers, who actually turn up, or offer a quote and then actually carry out the work, or send a quote which is actually relevant to your roof and not someone elses, or answer their phones, or return your calls, please let me know, I'll even offer to have their babies.....we are on our 10th attempt at the mo to get a quote and work done for a new skylight.....

:fight:

I'll give it a go for you. I'll place a trampoline under where you want the skylight, and wear a hard hat! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I leave you alone for ten minues and look what happens!!! :shame: :shame: :shame::P

And just to make things very clear, I am not psychopathic, the witch is just getting what she deserves ... :devil:

Nonono, it was the pink stripy penguin that was psychopathic...

it all got a bit confusing really. :unsure:

I'm clearly overtired & should go to bed, night night all!

I have new lights :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

He has gone next door and he's coming back in an hour to finish it. We're waiting for some Polyfiller to dry.

But they are in, they work, and they're brighter than the old ones :)

I am very pleased! He has just been to finish it off.

I was so happy to have my lights that I nearly screamed as he walked out the door. I managed to hold it in because I thought I might scare him!

When our new carpet was fitted we had to pull really hard to shut the door, when we finally got it planed down a month later I was so used to hauling it shut I almost knocked myself out flinging it open! :lol:

One of them has fallen out of the ceiling. I tried to push it back up, but it doesn't stay, and I also managed to dislodge the polyfiller. I didn't push it or anything, but it looks like I've given it a good shove. I hope they believe I haven't.

Looking at it though, I can't see how you can change the lightbulb without ripping it all out, but if you do that, it doesn't go back. If I ask when they come to repair it, they will think I broke it trying to change the bulb, and I didn't do that either.

Three weeks of phone calls, and I now have lights hanging out of my ceiling, only I don't even know how to change the lightbulb on these ones. I am now worse off than I was before!

Why can't anything go right for a change? It was easier to get divorced than get new lights!

Oh dear. Are they flush to the ceiling with halogen bulbs inside, if so they can be changed ok but its fiddly to do. Its their workmanship that has gone wrong, so get them back asap & if you havent already paid them, dont till its sorted.

My quote for hall stairs & landing carpet/laminate came - horribly horribly horribly expensive. Negotiated �100 off but still too expensive, so back to the drawing board.

It's all mended now :)

I reckon the cat pulled it down deliberately so I would have to call him back. She loves a man with a toolbox :lol: