marmalade

What makes us Laugh?

I made my dd laugh today.

Yeah, I know, not exactly earth-shattering and I've probably done it a million times before (well, I hope so anyway) BUT this time she had to look at me to get the joke.

She willingly made eye-contact with me. :thumbs:

Felt like Paul Merton or someone else really funny!

So this got me thinking.....how come my ASD child finds facial expressions funny? I mean she rarely looks anybody in the eye, yet facial (and visual humour) keels her over every time? Isn't this a contradiction? Not that it matters to me in the least what makes her laugh, so long as laughs, but....

Am I alone in this?

I wonder if it's to do with exaggeration?

I've always (particularly before I got my lenses) preferred people with very 'bland' faces - no odd facial features and none or very limited use of expression - because it doesn't contort to frighten me and doesn't leave me confused.

People who use a lot of expression when they're talking (particularly if accompanied by arms flying around) I've found much harder because there's too much to take in, too much contortion and it is really frightening. Trying to make any sense, not be scared, and avoid being hit by the arms because I'm having difficulty judging distance is awful.

This does have a point - I wonder if 'silly' facial expressions are funny because they are so extremely outside the ordinary and the need to understand that there is space to laugh - it's OK and accepted and there's nothing 'beyond' (no meaning in it) that's supposed to be understood and responded to - and so she can relax into enjoying the moment and the interaction. But that's just a guess. :unsure:

JP loves slapstick stuff, Chuckle Brothers, silent movies, REALLY corny jokes he creates himself usually based on word play - I've had to ask him to run them by me before he tells them at work as he could get on peoples nerves with them! Also toilet humour, but then he is male :rolleyes:

He cant be doing with sophisticated verbal humour, by the time I've explained the joke we've missed a load of others.

I wonder if it's to do with exaggeration?

I've always (particularly before I got my lenses) preferred people with very 'bland' faces - no odd facial features and none or very limited use of expression - because it doesn't contort to frighten me and doesn't leave me confused.

People who use a lot of expression when they're talking (particularly if accompanied by arms flying around) I've found much harder because there's too much to take in, too much contortion and it is really frightening. Trying to make any sense, not be scared, and avoid being hit by the arms because I'm having difficulty judging distance is awful.

This does have a point - I wonder if 'silly' facial expressions are funny because they are so extremely outside the ordinary and the need to understand that there is space to laugh - it's OK and accepted and there's nothing 'beyond' (no meaning in it) that's supposed to be understood and responded to - and so she can relax into enjoying the moment and the interaction. But that's just a guess. :unsure

That's interesting, 'cos i've always been the opposite...I find people with very immobile faces really worrying, as i can't work out what they're feeling.

I prefer very exagerated expressions, as then I can tell what they are thinking.

As for humour...I can 'get' very visual/obvious jokes, but what I don't 'get' are deadpan jokes or deadpan teasing, because I can't tell if it's a joke or not.

So for me, I need things like humour and emotions/expressions very clearly 'sign-posted' otherwise I feel really anxious and uincomfortable.

HTH

Bid :)

Ooooh, just had a thought! I think there might be two types of people with AS?? Some have very immobile faces, and others 'mug' a lot...sadly, I fall into the latter category! :ph34r::lol:

Edited by bid

Ooooh, just had a thought! I think there might be two types of people with AS?? Some have very immobile faces, and others 'mug' a lot...sadly, I fall into the latter category! :ph34r::lol:

I'm the first type. I'm hoping it will help prevent wrinkle development in later life. :ph34r::lol:

I'll go now :devil:

I'm the first type. I'm hoping it will help prevent wrinkle development in later life. :ph34r::lol:

I'll go now :devil:

I have this magic cream, it makes your skin stick to your skull. At my advanced age I need all the help I can get.

Oh gawd sorry, off topic again :rolleyes:

Both my two have a wicked sense of humour. It is visual based, my DS does a great charlie chaplin Act, he wacks himself on the head and falls flat on his back laughing looking for my response too. He really does intterract. My daughter can do verbal humour but simple jokes. I have to sometimes explain to her the punchline of a joke. My fella has a strange sense of humour but he laughs at my sarcasm.

Yesterday I was taking the p*ss out of everyone in the house (except my DS). My fella always says the same thing when the children have left in the mornign for school "DS or DD have left the building" every day without fail - I pointed this out to him yesterday and said cant you say something else? but he still said the same thing again today guess its a habit I just cringed!

My DD has a phobia about babywipes - my boy still wears nappies so wipes are something we have in every room. If she sees a wipe out of the packet or poking out or in the bin or dropped on the floor she goes crackers. She screams and refuses to look at it closing her eyes saying "get rid of it, Idont want to see it!" and starts to flap her hands and stim. At first I thought she was just attention seeking but she really doesnt like the physical feel of a wipe, esepcially if its dry and now the sight of a wipe is enough to send her into a meltdown. She also has a lock on her bedroom door to stop DS from gettign in there she likes her space and he tends to wreck her room. Its a yale lock so it needs a key and if you open the door using the key from the outside she shouts at you to remove the key all you hear is "The KEY!!!" "TAKE OUT THE KEY" it drives me nuts :angry:

Yesterday she was getting ready for school and I left the key in the lock and as I closed the door behind me all i coudl hear is "THE KEEEYY" - I started laughing and said she reminded me of the hunchback of notre darm "the Bells" "the Bells" or "the wipes" "the wipes". I said to her I am going to do a scarey movie with the killer wipes do a timed screen shot of a wipe moving towards her bratz dolls, and a psycho shower scene with the wipes creeping up to the victim withthe high pitched music in the background... I told her was going to make a movie and put it on youtube and when she was naughty I would make her sit and watch it!! I think i may have gonea bit too far with the wipes but she was laughing but upset too. Do you think I should do it and let her see she can laugh at it or do you think I am a cruel mother who doesnt respect the feelings of my DD?

what does anyone else think? I think it would be hilarious :dance: