Sign in to follow this  
lynne

HELPFULL LEA

Our LEA named a senior school on our sons proposed statement that we did not want. Any how following two phone calls from our selves and several phone calls to us from the case office it has all now been sorted.

Our LEA are going to fund a private senior school for our 10 year old son from September. He will be in a small class of 12 children, than over a period of time he will transfer to the other classrooms when he is ready.

This is the same LEA we went to tribunal with for discrimminating a few years ago.

From what I have learned it was essential to make sure our sons statement was accurate and described all of his difficulties along time before his date to transfer to senior school. This accurate statement meant the LEA could not place him in a school that was not suitable.

So it appears the LEAs can change and offer a very good service to our ASD children

Hi Lynne - that's really good news. :thumbs: The words 'helpful' and 'LEA' don't often seem to go together do they? :lol: But just wanted to add that i have had some very low points with our LEA, tears, rows, standoffs the lot! (And that's just them :lol: ) But have made a huge effort in the past (and now) to keep 'lines of communication' open and eventually our LEA turned up trumps too. :clap:

Can't beleive I'm saying it but have had reason over the past year to be really grateful to our LEA becasue they have listened and responded and acted on what we have said over complicated and upsetting times.

I now feel I have we have a mutual respect that has come out of an acceptance that at times I've been wrong :whistle: and at times they have.

It's like a minor miracle isn't it? :lol:

Luv Witsend.

It's really heartening to hear news of LEA's listening to parents and cooperating. :thumbs:

However, both of you, from what you say, have had troubles in the past and have had to work hard You've emerged knowing your rights, knowing the system and knowing how to get what you want - this may have played its part in smoothing the way. I think LEA's only change when they are faced with parents who have demonstrated that they won't back down or be fobbed off.

For an LEA to be proactive and offer the same respect and cooperation to a parent who does not know the system or doesn't have the ability to negotiate it, now that would be a miracle.

K x

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said your statemnt was very good and they had no choice but to send your school that met his needs!

Now in the process myself of sorting the mess of statement out that my son was given! we went to tribunal this week, now i know my DS's statement has improved- well done you!! i know how difficult it is!! good to hear your news!! well done!!

Lynne

Well done for getting what your son needs.

It is probably not the case that the LEA that has changed, thay have realised that you know your stuff and you won't back down, and there are times when that is all you need!

Simon