Sign in to follow this  
Faye83

IEP for 3 yr old?

Hi everyone.

Well it is 10 weeks since dx and things are moving along pretty quickly. We have speech therapy and physio in place as well as an appt for another development review with the paed.

Next thing up is a multi disciplinary meeting on Tues with the nursery, speech therapist and the pead. Can anyone tell me what to expect? I am new to all this so have never had to do anything lke this before. We are discussing an IEP for him and he was observed last week for the day so that report is gping to be taken into account as well.

Thanks in advance x x x x

Hi faye - it sounds as thought they're on the case :thumbs:

The multidisciplinary meeting is really just an opportunity for everyone to swap notes and get 'up to speed' on the issues they (and you) have independently recognised.

Hopefully, all of those things will enable a rough plan for the IEP and generate ideas for general support needs/school & home collaboration etc...

It's not as daunting as it sounds, and should be hugely beneficial :thumbs:

Make sure you have everything you want to say written down (so you don't forget anything) and it's always helpful to have clear examples of problems (i.e. 'he only responds to me if i make physical contact or go out of my way to attract his attention' rather than 'he won't respond if i call him') you encounter.

As far as Speech and language input goes - these resources nationally are at a premium, so make sure if you can that you get firm commitment to sessions (if required) rather than 'as and when appropriate' or stuff like that...

Hope that helps

L&P

BD :D

Hi Faye.It is worth taking a friend along for moral support if you have not done a meeting like this before.If Parent Partnership in your area are helpful [they do vary ]then one of the parent support team may attend too if you invite them.You may not need parent partnership on this occasion but if your child is likely to need support in school in future it is worth getting to know parent partnership.Karen.